Travel insurance to include expensive camera.

heavymental
heavymental Posts: 2,079
edited January 2013 in The cake stop
Jeepers, this is doing my nut in. Flying to Laos tomorrow and thought it'd be a good idea to get insurance for my Canon 5Dii given thats its fairly expensive. I'm getting travel insurance through World Nomads but the maximum for each additional item listed is £400. Looking into other options is a real headache. Anyone got any recommendations. Lots of the sites I've come across seem to make it very difficult to actually make a claim.

At the moment I'm probably going to take my chances as I've never previously had any problems when travelling.

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Check your home contents away from home cover.
    You may not need any additional cover at all, and if you do, this is likely a cheaper way of doing it.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • heavymental
    From googling the subject, that seems to be the best way, but unfortunately I don't have home insurance.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129
    if it'll be in cabin baggage on the flight, can be securely stored in the hotel when not with you, and you're not going to be in dodgy areas or using it in adverse conditions, then the risk should be minimal

otherwise you could try an insurance broker, but for single-trip it seems insurers don't like covering high value items
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Home insurance is normally the best way to go with more expensive items. However my brother does not have home insurance either but does use these guys to cover his gadgets - http://uk.protectyourbubble.com/ci-came ... rance.html

No idea personally what they would cost but looks simple enough to be a quote from them.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • heavymental
    I think I'm just going to take my chances. Can't see that I'd even get any money out of most of the policy providers if something were to happen. Can't find the receipt for the camera either which is a bad start!