Bottom Bracket cable guide

gbsahne001
gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
edited January 2013 in The workshop
Am in the final throes of building up a road bike and went to fit the gear cables last night, only to discover that the rear mech's cable has frayed and upon cutting it, realised it was too short :(

However in looking at the route, it seems the cable guide is made from Stainless Steel, which seems odd to me and a potential bind for the cable once some gunk gets in there.

I've ordered a replacement plastic unit but was wondering whether this was a standard feature of a Trek bike?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Steel? Not for a weight weenie!

Plasic does a perfectly good job...stick to it....hope it hasn't cost too much, I've got a stack spare I could have flogged you!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gbsahne001
    Steel? Not for a weight weenie!

Plasic does a perfectly good job...stick to it....hope it hasn't cost too much, I've got a stack spare I could have flogged you!

99 pence from CRC
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not bad, P&P must cost nearly that!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

He's probably bought a bike as well to get free postage.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • gbsahne001
    Rolf F wrote:

He's probably bought a bike as well to get free postage.

busted :lol: