mid weight soft shell

sofaboy73
sofaboy73 Posts: 574
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
i'm after a new softshell for winter riding. currently got a thin cheap decathlon job that i layer up with and is fine for autumn / spring, but just not quite warm enough for this time of year.

I'd like it to be shower proof, but i've got a montane pertex light weight shell i put over the top in the worst of the weather, so brethability and windproofness is more important (i usually spray my softshells with some grangers to keep a bit more of the wet out anyhow). not after super tight roadie fit, but not too baggy either.

problem i'm having is everything i've seen is a little to thick / heavy weight. I have a tendnacy to sweat like a beast on the bike so need something i would consider 'mid weight'.

budget wise, looking c £60-80.

any recomendations please?

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    There's a winter jacket test in this month's mbuk

TK Maxx also worth a look
  • I just picked up one from sportsdirect for £20, it's a karrimor one and seems fine. I was out riding last night when it was about zero degs with only a short sleeve baselayer and was nice and warm.
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    I've got the aldi one and it's very good, a bit 'road' but looks OK (IMO) with baggies etc. Might be a bit too heavy for you though - I was warm yesterday in horizontal sleet with a base layer and short sleeved jersey under it. Pretty much windproof and the rain/sleet was just running off it.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • CB75
    CB75 Posts: 49
    check out Go Outdoors and Cotswold outdoors website. theres some good sale bargains. havent had time to look and recomend specific jackets but i'll have a look later and see what good buys there are and send another post but check it out yourself too!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I wear a Berghaus windstopper jacket. I got a 2011 model for half price on ebay and its the best £60 I spent last year. Comfy breathable and showerproof for up to about 2 hours but even when its wet it doesnt feel like I am wearing a bin bag. Worth looking for non MTB specific stuff as MTB clothing companies seem to get a jacket made in China and bung £50 on the price.

Worth a look at these guys they do solid stuff for very reasonable prices http://www.cycle-clothing.co.uk/Ranges/5/cycle-cycling-wear/jackets.aspx
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Dare2b have some great deals on softshells if you dont mind a hood on them, otherwise, regatta on ebay have some non hoodless softshells for £15 at the mo!!
    ive the thaw out and struck out from dare2b and they are spot on, the thaw out's a bit thick for riding, but a great jacket!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • I have an Endura MT500 Long Sleever Jersey Jacket:

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/endura-m ... tAodcSAAMA

I dont have a bad thing to say about it. I particularly like that over the top of the shoulders and arms it is a different material, so where the camelbak sits all day it wont rub into the jacket or anything.

It feels solidly built, and in a size M, feels like it has been made especially for me.
  • CB75
    with regards to my previous reply ive had a quick look online so here goes. Cotswold outdoors doing a north face apex st elias softshell £50 off down to £80. as for Go Outdoors there doing berghaus ardennes softshell half price to £45 and berghaus breton hooded softshell down to £65 i think it is and also various Rab softshells on good offers but i think they are all subject to availability on sizes. Thats my tips for you and i always think the outdoors shops and brands that ive mentioned are good options as they are excellent for biking but can be versatile and multifunctional rather than bike specific brands.
  • hi

i was in the same position as you about 4 weeks ago

i had a lower budget than you, i was going to get a altura transformer but after i went to evens cycles and tryed it on, it was just not what i expected and not worth the money. in the end i went over my budget and brought a endura convert. it was way better quality and the fit was much better too.

i would advise you to go try your chosen jacket, because im a 43" chest and in the altura jacket i had to try a xxxl as it fits on very small side. and the endura i had a xxl. by no means am i big chested or fat, the way each company makes their jackets and sizeing is crazy.

i have used my jacket about 8 times so far and its just brillent, it keeps me dry & the windstopper is great. A++
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    Best softshell I have had is the Gore Phantom 2, its a great jacket, keeps rain out for around 2 hour as long as its not pouring down.
    The sleeves also unzip to let air in or out and you can remove them completely if it gets a bit warm
    It is very breathable and really warm, I just ride with a baselayer and the Phantom on and have been fine at -2 rides
    I have also never over heated in it either really does seem to regulate the temperature
    They can be found for under £100 if you shop around, also the fit is just right not to tight but with room to move in
    I would say you wont regret buying one
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • sofaboy73
    cheers for the replies.

checked out go outdoors, as ever great offers on the web, but trying to see the kit in store (to check fit / thickness) is nigh on impossible!

eventually completely blew my budget and went for a montane jobbie. works like a treat
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    I wanted the same thing so i went for a paramo windproof smock

http://www.paramo.co.uk/en-gb/garments/ ... UERAUNISEX

I found it brilliant on the bike, used it on my Mtb Coast to coast, keeps the wind out and light showers. Will let water in if its howling down. Bout £50.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • CB75
    Go outdoors does have great offers but your right the only thing is trying the stuff on and also if you dont have a store near by then a lot of web offers are reserve and collect which is no good. which montane did you go for? ive got both the dyno and sabretooth. love them both although the dyno is quite thin and you need layers underneath but the sabretooth is the business! polartec fleece inside and a proper good softshell, never got the thing off!
  • sofaboy73
    CB75 wrote:
    Go outdoors does have great offers but your right the only thing is trying the stuff on and also if you dont have a store near by then a lot of web offers are reserve and collect which is no good. which montane did you go for? ive got both the dyno and sabretooth. love them both although the dyno is quite thin and you need layers underneath but the sabretooth is the business! polartec fleece inside and a proper good softshell, never got the thing off!

ended up getting the sbretooth, more than i wanted to spend but an excellent jacket, although a little short
  • CB75
    good choice. it is a little short but thats because its a climbing jacket and designed to be worn with a harness but it is a great jacket all round. its really windproof and yet still seems to regulate temperature nicely. you wont be dissapointed.
  • I'd get a windproof gilet and some arm warmers you should easily get these for under £60.
    You can easily rip them off and stuff them in your pockets if your too warm.
    These are great from Planet X for £11.99.
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CLB ... ent_sleeve
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed