Monarch RT shock noise

craigw99
craigw99 Posts: 224
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
my rockshox Monarch rear shock makes a clicky noise over small bumps or if im bouncing on the bike
when the air is out i cant feel any resistance it seems to happen about mid stroke. and even with 35% sag i never seem to be able to use max travel - it's about a year old if that makes any difference.

ive checked all bushes & bolts and eveything is secure sound is deff coming from inside the can.
is it goosed?
in need of a service?
or is that just how they are?

any advise welcome!
opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
1992 cannondale m1000 still going just

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Don't run it with the air out, no noise, simples, rpbably just the actuator rod rattling with no load on it!

To get more travel, ride it harder, have you measured it fully compressed or are you guessing where that point will be?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • craigw99
    went the air is out the can the rubber ring goes right to the end of the shaft, when im out riding it usually stops about 1cm before the end - so i think im not getting full travel - prob just need to hit bigger drops :twisted:

the noice just bugs me it just doesnt seem right - i keep thinking something is loose!
  • craigw99
    Don't run it with the air out, no noise, simples, rpbably just the actuator rod rattling with no load on it!
    ?
    it makes the noise with the air in!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    craigw99 wrote:
    my rockshox Monarch rear shock makes a clicky noise over small bumps or if im bouncing on the bike
    when the air is out
    Maybe use Grammer then!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • craigw99
    sorry forgot the .

any thoughts on whats causing it?
  • craigw99
    no not always, it's been doing it for the past couple of months and seems to be getting louder