Cyclists ... cycling

extrusion
extrusion Posts: 247
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
Thought this was a bit ott from this website (linked to from sky news) http://recombu.com/cars/articles/news/5-000-drivers-banned-every-year-because-they-can-t-see-the-road :
It's no secret our roads can be a dangerous place. There are jaywalkers dashing out into the middle of the road, drivers failing to indicate before a turn, cyclists... cycling.

Then saw where the article came from:
Via: Daily Mail

Aha, that makes more sense now.

:lol:

Comments

• Daily Mail yep says it all really.

Nothing to do with cycling but a funny song regarding the DM - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPEzM2oV-PY
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    A few months ago my Dad was driving and I was in the front passenger seat. We were going along at his customary ~25mph along a single carriage road that curves to the left. I noticed that he didn't straighten up as usual and we were now drifting onto the wrong side of the road.
    My thought process went along the lines of:
    "Don't worry, he'll straighten soon...he must have seen that oncoming car so he'll get back onto the correct side of the road in a sec..HE HAD BETTER SORT IT OUT NOW!!!"
    In the end I had to grab the steering wheel to avoid a collision.

He then had a major rant at me for grabbing the wheel, he wouldn't admit drifting onto the wrong side of the road or that he didn't see the oncoming car. He wouldn't speak to me for a few weeks but then eventually admitted that he didn't see the car.

Today, he is recovering from the cataract operation he had on Saturday.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    A few months ago my Dad was driving and I was in the front passenger seat. We were going along at his customary ~25mph along a single carriage road that curves to the left. I noticed that he didn't straighten up as usual and we were now drifting onto the wrong side of the road.
    My thought process went along the lines of:
    "Don't worry, he'll straighten soon...he must have seen that oncoming car so he'll get back onto the correct side of the road in a sec..HE HAD BETTER SORT IT OUT NOW!!!"
    In the end I had to grab the steering wheel to avoid a collision.

He then had a major rant at me for grabbing the wheel, he wouldn't admit drifting onto the wrong side of the road or that he didn't see the oncoming car. He wouldn't speak to me for a few weeks but then eventually admitted that he didn't see the car.

Today, he is recovering from the cataract operation he had on Saturday.

Eek. Glad he's got it sorted.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    One of the guys working for me appears to have conjuncted tits (I think that's how he spelt it) so is going to have some fun getting home tonight.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    My grandad (RIP) was once giving me a lift home from somewhere, failed to turn around a bend in the road and ended up driving at 25mph up somebodies lengthy (luckily) drive. He refused to admit anything was wrong with his eyes and continued to drive for another year!

My gran (also RIP) also gave me a lift home once and despite it pishing down outside failed to turn the wipers on. I couldn't see, so I'm assuming that she couldn't see either... Bless her.

I was once also almost mown down by a old boy driving on the pavement, waving his arms at everyone to get out of his way.

But yeah, those cyclists cycling are putting everyone at risk!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Driving into the McDonalds (shut up the lot of you!), I saw an old guy reversing and girl with her hand trapped between the window and door frame doing her best Road Runner impersonation. The inside of his car was filled with a white smoke and once he stopped and the door opened I realised that his airbag had been activated. Not sure what the hell happened because there was no sign of a collision or accident.

When he got out he was clearly disorientated.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Once had a car go straight off the road having crossed the road literly 10 feet in front of me, ended up down a ditch (running along it fortunately due to the angle) he'd blacked out totally, the wife was in a bit of a mess as well!

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my dear old Grandad, not screaming in fear like his passengers........
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I was confronted by a young looking guy in a Micra going the wrong way round a roundabout nr Staines the other weekend. Was a 3 lane roundabout as well. Not cool (was on my bike).