Winter mtb riding, what benefits for road riding ?

RandG
RandG Posts: 779
edited January 2013 in Health, fitness & training
I have been out a fair bit over the Winter on the mtb, every Tuesday/Thursday for a night ride and at least once at the weekend, but to be honest feel no fitter, although I obviously must be. So my question is, what benefit will all this mtb riding do for road cycling come Spring ??

Comments

• I do quite a bit on the MTB in the winter and find that the short sharp repeated climbs help with my power, similar to doing intervals on the road bike. But I don't feel any benefit to my endurance is this what you mean by fitter?
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    MTB in winter is good for the short hard efforts needed for road racing attacking short climbs so you will definitely be keeping your mid to top end at a level where you only need to taper up around 10-15% come race season but you should still get a 3-4hr junk mile road ride in once a week with a completed ride of a steady 17-18 mph average.
    Works every season for me as i'd rather be mountain biking than road in winter as you can just hit the trails and forget about traffic.
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Skip the road riding and just ride MTB. Simple.

After all road riding is for homos.
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    Liking the replies, particularly the last one :lol:

I don't race, I only took up road riding in August, couple of months then the weather went pear shaped, so I haven't done a single mile on the road since September.

There are a few sportives I want to do next year, but as I say, I have never done much road riding so was hoping the mtbing will be a help, who knows :?

Just can't face going out in this weather on the road, to dodgy me thinks, just hoping all the off road stuff will help my lack of road miles.