Do you find you're missing a certain gear?

p1tse
p1tse Posts: 694
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
As a newbie and only my 4th time out, I found on near flats one gear the resistant wasn't enough whilst the other my legs felt more tired. I guess it's down to fitness and strength?
Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm

Comments

• JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Can be avoided by getting a closer ratio cassette, but that generally leaves you with less options when you hit the hills
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    And working out what is best for you in every situation which only comes with experience and practice
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Change gear on the the front sprocket?
  • No disrespect, but I can't imagine that someone that's only done four rides is in any position to decide that he needs a closer ratio cassette.

It's impossible to advise without knowing more of the OP's riding style. My guess is that he isn't used to a higher cadence, and so thinks that the lower gear is too low. Whereas the higher gear is quite likely too hard, and the legs give out.

My advice FWIW:

- in the harder gear, push harder
    - in the easier gear, pedal faster

@OP - what chain rings and cassette do you currently have?
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • stinger53
    stinger53 Posts: 135
    My guess is that he isn't used to a higher cadence

That's what i found when i started road bike. i used to mountain bike was was used to a harder gear.
    but now i find it fine now that i am used to the higher cadence
  • nolight
    nolight Posts: 261
    p1tse wrote:
    As a newbie and only my 4th time out, I found on near flats one gear the resistant wasn't enough whilst the other my legs felt more tired. I guess it's down to fitness and strength?

Impossible. You are saying with 10 rear gears to choose from and cadence range from 60 to 120rpm, and assuming you are on flat and front high gear you pedal 4th gear at 120rpm and 5th gear it suddenly drops to 60rpm?
  • rich164h
    rich164h Posts: 433
    No, he's just saying that one was slightly too hard (low cadence) and the other was slightly too easy (and therefore fast). Nothing as dramatic as you've hinted at but just enough so that it feels like the correct gear for that speed is missing and is entirely related to the reason why people want close ratio cassettes. although, as already said, without know how/where the OP is riding we can't say whether swapping to a different cassette would be a wise decision.

I've had this before and it's as much to do with the conditions at the time and also how I'm feeling on that particular day. A few minutes later and the road condition would change and the problem goes away.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    No disrespect, but I can't imagine that someone that's only done four rides is in any position to decide that he needs a closer ratio cassette.

It's impossible to advise without knowing more of the OP's riding style. My guess is that he isn't used to a higher cadence, and so thinks that the lower gear is too low. Whereas the higher gear is quite likely too hard, and the legs give out.

My advice FWIW:

- in the harder gear, push harder
    - in the easier gear, pedal faster

@OP - what chain rings and cassette do you currently have?
    I agree - there is no way you can tell much of anything after four rides total.
  • p1tse
    p1tse Posts: 694
    Thanks for replies
    I didn't even know you can get different ratio cassettes

Only done 4 x 12 miles
    Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm
  • I know what you mean p1tse .

Some times you can find something inbetween by shifting on the front and twice or so on the back.

Sometimes its just how it is.

If you want to get scientific about it you could divide the number of teeth on each rear sprocket into the number of teeth on your chainrings. You should then be able to work out on paper all your gears in order from the easiest to the hardest. It can be good to do this as it shows you what overlap you get. I.e. similar gears irrespective of what chainring you are on.