Bulk Buying Disc Pads and compounds?

diddyfunk
diddyfunk Posts: 252
edited January 2013 in MTB general
Hi

Does anyone know where I can bulk buy (4 or so) original brand brake pads?

I have been advised that I should not scrimp on pads and stay away from Superstar and other copy brands

Also, what compound would be best for the Alps? Standard Sintered?

Many Thanks
2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Evo
08 Scott Scale 60 - http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy25 ... CF2299.jpg

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Superstar are excellent. Someone's been chatting rubbish. Sintered to last longer and in the Alps, otherwise red Kevlars.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I've bought from Discobrakes but haven't installed them yet.

They arrived quickly though.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    +1 and a bag of Haribo for Superstar. Excellent pads. Normally use the kevlar, but with the lovely weather we've been having I've stuck some sintered in and had forgotten just how good they are as well.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Sintered can be noisy - I use Fibrax Organic - fine and last well. Better thant the original Avids - and 1/3 price!
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Superstar Kevlars
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Organic NOT sintered for the Alps......sheesh......

No problems with SS pads apart from we did have some from a duff batch which didn't fit, SS sorted that really quickly.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Superstar sintered all year round.

Went through my XT sintered pads (the ones with fins on) in 2 months the replacement SS sintered have so far done 2 months and have only worn about half way. Didnt notice any difference between the original pads and the replacements though I dont bomb down Alpine trails just plod around in ankle deep shit.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • diddyfunk
    The Beginner, Can I ask why not Sintered for the Alps?

I have also been directed towards Nukeproof pads - good / bad?

From reading numerous Forums and reviews, it would seem that everyone has their own opinions and there is no consensus as to whether third party pads are as good as or better than original ones! - Views?
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    diddyfunk wrote:

Sintered get very hot and if your really hammering a long descent they can get too hot and affect the brake performance. Organic get hot as well but not nearly as hot and dont transmit the heat to the caliper and brake fluid. Only really makes any difference on long descents which are usually only encountered abroad.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    diddyfunk wrote:

I have also been directed towards Nukeproof pads - good / bad?

From reading numerous Forums and reviews, it would seem that everyone has their own opinions and there is no consensus as to whether third party pads are as good as or better than original ones! - Views?
    All the views above seem to indicate they are. I believe that is called consensus.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited January 2013
    diddyfunk wrote:
    stubs was close....

As the pad compound gets hotter it's friction charactersitics change, sintered when they get too hot get a sudden big decrease in friction, Organic are more linear.

Sintered do also conduct more heat to the piston which can lead to fluid issues (boiling for example).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Superstar Kevlar for me. Don't notice any difference between other brands. Why pay more?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    anj132 wrote:

I use these. Better than original Avid pads.
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Superstar or Uberbike sintered pads all year round, they appear to be identical and certainly last and work the same. If you ride anywhere gritty like the Peak District then even Kevlar will wear out too quick but you'll be lucky to get one ride out of a set or organics
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    +1 for superstar pads. they have a money back guaranty if you don't like them send them back.
    Brake pad Guarantee: If you don’t like them with 45 days of use, send them back and we will give you your money back! We are so confident of the pads we sell; we have a no quibble trial period.
  • cooldad
    I've always wondered what they would do if I sent back the backing plates of ones I've worn out in less time than that. Some organic pads lasted two days of extremely soggy Welsh riding.
    But while they lasted they did the job.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    I've always wondered what they would do if I sent back the backing plates of ones I've worn out in less time than that. Some organic pads lasted two days of extremely soggy Welsh riding.
    But while they lasted they did the job.

Haha, I was thinking that exact same thing the other day as it happens, when my organic pads died on me mid-ride. Tbf though, they usually last AGES, this is the first set that's not lasted at least 500miles of all-weather riding.
  • cooldad
    Worst was I had no spares, and all Tredz had were Ashima at about £18 a pair if I remember correctly.
    Felt sorry for the guy I was with though, Shimano XT's cost him the best part of £50!
    And no Haribo.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • For £50 I'd be expecting a handjob with them.

By which of course I mean the Cove XC HT. Good grief, get your minds out of the gutter!
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Superstar Sintered all year round. The others simply don't last long enough in the conditions in Wales. I went through a pair of organic in one ride the other week. Kevlar are an inbetween for longevity and bit more stopping power but sintered stop me just fine.

Twice I've been caught short and had to go in the LBS for a pair. £18 the last two times for sintered! What a joke! Can get nearly 4 sets for that from SS, and the haribo :-)
  • Newfish
    Newfish Posts: 121
    Ordered my first set of sintered from SS this morning. They were dispatched within 2 hours!! Impressed so far, be keen to see how well they last. Currently been getting less than 60 miles from my last four sets of pads at Cannock!
    Cheers,
    Simon.
    I think you should check/change your rotors. That doesn't sound right at all.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Superstar Kevlar +1
  • Newfish wrote:
    Ordered my first set of sintered from SS this morning. They were dispatched within 2 hours!! Impressed so far, be keen to see how well they last. Currently been getting less than 60 miles from my last four sets of pads at Cannock!

Are you bedding them in properly before you use them?
    Are your calipers aligned properly?
    are your discs made of sandpaper?
  • diddyfunk
    Would I be right by saying Kevlar is best compound for the Alps?
    Life + heat displacement considering?

Thanks for all the input on this
  • Newfish
    Newfish Posts: 121
    Newfish wrote:

Are you bedding them in properly before you use them?
    Are your calipers aligned properly?
    are your discs made of sandpaper?

Haha, I have been getting organic pads by mistake and riding at a wet sandy Cannock it's just destroying them. I've just upgraded my brakes all round and ordered a set of fully sintered pads, so we shall see.
    Cheers,
    Simon.