Crud road racer mudguards

nmt
nmt Posts: 88
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
Has anyone got any Crud road racer mudguards to give their verdict. I have a specialized Roubaix and need some option for guards.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Use the search man this has been done to death already.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Brilliant piece of kit, but search for them on the forum, there's a million and one threads on the subject.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • nmt
    Oh sh!t yes I forgot about search.

Sorry
  • stinger53
    stinger53 Posts: 135
    i have some on my bike. simple to fit and do the job well and good build quaility. would defo recommend them
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Ay, there is a thread on here with recent activity - my take on them is that a close-clearance race frame has a very good chance ot them fitting, possible requirement for slight tweeking needed.
    Slightly fiddly but decent coverage, covering more of the tyre than the Raceblades. I've used them and tried to run with 25 mm tyres but gave up on the front as the frame/fork clearance with these was insufficient and a 23 there was ok, 25mm just ok at the rear. Full 'guards best if they do fit but if not I'd go for the Cruds.
  • andyrr wrote:
    Ay, there is a thread on here with recent activity - my take on them is that a close-clearance race frame has a very good chance ot them fitting, possible requirement for slight tweeking needed.
    Slightly fiddly but decent coverage, covering more of the tyre than the Raceblades. I've used them and tried to run with 25 mm tyres but gave up on the front as the frame/fork clearance with these was insufficient and a 23 there was ok, 25mm just ok at the rear. Full 'guards best if they do fit but if not I'd go for the Cruds.

yeah my cruds were fine with 23mm tyres but had to be ditched recently when I put 25mm tyres on.

Overall they were good once you have finished fiddling with them to stop any rubbing, although one bit of plastic connecting the rear stay broke off for no real reason I could see - which I fixed with electrical tape easy enough though.
  • Fitted them to my Spesch Allez Elite and i fucking hate them. They look crap they sound crap basically they are crap!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Not a huge fan personally, they're great for a nice winter bike that gets loved and carefully stored etc. But if you use your bike daily they just don't stand up to the abuse. Personally the raceblade longs are much better, even if the coverage isn't as good.
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    Not a huge fan personally, they're great for a nice winter bike that gets loved and carefully stored etc. But if you use your bike daily they just don't stand up to the abuse. Personally the raceblade longs are much better, even if the coverage isn't as good.

I think I'm going to have to get some raceblades. I know that everyone loves the cruds to death, but I must be cursed. I have a Triban 3 and they were a nightmare to put on and I couldn't even fit the part that is supposed to protect the derailleur. One time going over a bump the zip tie for the rear guard snapped and the guard rolled into the wheel making it impossible to continue until I'd tied it back with some garden wire. Yesterday the extension for the rear guard just popped off out of nowhere and I have no spare screws to put it back. They obviously work for some, but I wouldn't recommend them myself, they're just too flimsy. I'm going to ditch them and try race blades.
  • stinger53
    stinger53 Posts: 135

really mine have be battered around like theres no tomorrow and not even a crack.
    even tho do look after my bike. the mud guards often hit things when im not paying attention :|
  • If you do get them watch the 'How to fit' video on you tube or the crud racer website first
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    jonbob78 wrote:
    If you do get them watch the 'How to fit' video on you tube or the crud racer website first

+1

The instructions are Shi ite. Watch the video and then fit them in minutes. I recommend them - does what it says on the tin.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    But if you use your bike daily they just don't stand up to the abuse.

Errrr, probably 5 or 6000 miles on mine riding 5 or 6 days a week. You need to stop hitting them with hammers :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • nmt
    Fitted them today got to say a big thanks for the heads up regarding watching the installation vids on you tube a few times first, Saved me some hasstle i reckon