Sir David: tell your lads to stop at red lights!!

nom de plum
nom de plum Posts: 182
edited January 2013 in The cake stop
Just a quick rant, I need to get this off my chest
I live in Wilmslow Cheshire. i see the GB lads come thru on training rides almost every day. can someone (Dave?) please tell them to stop at red lights. They set the worst example to other riders, especially young riders.
British Cycling bangs on about safety for cyclist on our road. they have all sorts of campaigns and petitions. But sky emblazoned; dogma riding pros who glide straight thru on red are driving me mad... its really a no-brainier that car drivers resent this. We'll never be accepted as "traffic" if we can't obey the highway code ourselves.
some bikes and sheep and stuff:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16682367@N00/

Comments

• Where's the 'like' button? I couldn't agree more.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    I'd put that on their twitter account ! :shock:
    I'm quite shocked especially since Brad and Shane got hit by cars recently !
  • Graham K
    Graham K Posts: 329
    Drop em an Email, if you can dates times and junctions too.
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    They're watching the power meter not the traffic lights!

Ignoring red lights....it's so "pro"
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Screendump of OP tweeted @TeamSky
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Hope they take note of what you said before they arrive here next month - the police have guns here :shock:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Real bloody shame - after all the positive publicity last year. The more high profile the more effing arrogant!!
  • riggsy81
    riggsy81 Posts: 281
    Just a quick rant, I need to get this off my chest
    I live in Wilmslow Cheshire. i see the GB lads come thru on training rides almost every day. can someone (Dave?) please tell them to stop at red lights. They set the worst example to other riders, especially young riders.
    British Cycling bangs on about safety for cyclist on our road. they have all sorts of campaigns and petitions. But sky emblazoned; dogma riding pros who glide straight thru on red are driving me mad... its really a no-brainier that car drivers resent this. We'll never be accepted as "traffic" if we can't obey the highway code ourselves.

Couldn't agree more I live in Handforth so see this all the time, seems to be becoming a common trait of a lot of cyclists nowadays and its doing my bloody head in
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    When they're spread all over the road following a collision, it will no doubt be the motorist who gets the worst of it.

On the same issue...
    On my evening commute some weeks ago, I stopped at a pedestrian crossing on red (in the car BTW) and a cyclist went through it on my inside. A car coming in the opposite direction saw the light on red and so assumed it was safe to make a right turn into the road that's about 20 meters from the crossing, nearly wiping out the cyclist. Cyclist stopped and was giving it all the actions; shaking head and gesturing, and I thought he was going to go after the driver he was so cross, and I was ready to follow them both and put him right.

The older I get, the better I was.

• I stopped on Friday at a red light for a crossing & 2 edjits went straight through and scared the people trying to cross and in fact to make things worse they shouted insults at the pedestrians crossing. Then there is me stopped and waiting minding my own business & I start taking flack from 2 middle aged people crossing as if it were me that had ridden through, shouted insults and then turned around to wait at the lights.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • redvee wrote:
    Screendump of OP tweeted @TeamSky

nice one redvee cheers... good idea... i'll tweet it again to team sky (edit n copy n paste) cos your screen shot is difficult to read... thanks again
    some bikes and sheep and stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/16682367@N00/