Deore or SLX brakes

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
My Juicy seven brakes on my hardtail have had it (cracked calliper) so it's time for some new ones.
The Deore brakes get excellent reviews but is it worth the extra for SLX? They are quite a lot more expensive but are they that much better?
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=67246
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=83173

Comments

• I've got SLX and they're excellent. Not just great stoppers but indestructible and dead easy maintenance. Have to say though that at that price I'd go with the Deore. Get some ice tech rotors with the change... http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=67197
  • I think the deores actually feel more powerful but don't get servo wave.

I'm over 16st and use deore with 160mm rotors front and back and have zero issues dropping, they are brilliant! Will be the last thing I upgrade anyway!!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Can't answer that, but my son has just replaced the (older) XT's on his Spesh Enduro for the Deores, and thinks they are much, much better than the old ones.
    He rides pretty hard as well.
    Someone I know, who knows his stuff, has used both the new Deores and XT's and reckons that the power is pretty similar, but the XT's are lighter and easier to adjust the reach. (you need a whole allen key for the Deores)
    I think the Deores do get servo wave, it's just not adjustable.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    Do the ice tech rotors and pads make any difference for normal riding? I can see it being worthwhile for alpine riding but not sure about normal XC riding.
  • I would go with the Deore's for the money and all the other positives people state.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I think the deores actually feel more powerful but don't get servo wave.

I'm over 16st and use deore with 160mm rotors front and back and have zero issues dropping, they are brilliant! Will be the last thing I upgrade anyway!!

The Deores do have servo wave (M596's), and they're brilliant! I recently upgraded to them (got them from bike-discount.de) and the difference between them and my old brakes is incredible!
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    Another for the Deores, Not had them for long but they're great and at a great price.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Deores are perfect for me, SLX bring the possibility of finned pads and perhaps a bit less weight. I'm planning to build a new bike in a year or so and can't imagine putting anything other than Deore brakes on it at the moment
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Do the ice tech rotors and pads make any difference for normal riding? I can see it being worthwhile for alpine riding but not sure about normal XC riding.

I don't think so. I ran the Icetech pads and rotors for a bit, then replaced the pads with Superstar kevlars because I didn't fancy paying £20 for a set of pads. I then got a new bike which came with non Ice-tech rotors and swapped the brakes between bikes. Haven't noticed any significant differences since.

As you say though, for longer descents they might be useful.
  • arigold
    arigold Posts: 175
    I freaking love my deore brakes
  • rockmonkeysc
    Thanks. Deore it is then :)
  • arigold
    arigold Posts: 175
    I also purchased new set of shimano rt7 rotors and braking is pretty good for £100