Back to this commuting lark

Stevo_666
Stevo_666 Posts: 61,055
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
After a bit of a career break I bagged a new job late last year and have finally got myself a locker in the basement at the office so it's time to get back to the ride to work routine - just as well as I'm seriously unfit, as I found out after a 25 mile road ride with a couple of mates today. Got the ride Stava'd and our average speed was shockingly bad even for a hilly-ish ride in the North Downs :oops:

Hopefully Bromley to NW1 and back a couple of times a week to start won't kill me? I reckon it is about 12 miles each way.

Imminent death or not, I'm looking forward to getting back into it :)
"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    My commute is 12 miles, I reckon it's a pretty good distance to do. Long enough to feel like a proper ride but short enough to do at least three times a week. You'll be knackered for a few weeks while you get used to it, but you probably won't die. Maybe.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Good luck with that. My commute is 17 miles each way, which i do three times a week. You do have to 'commit to commute' and organise stuff the night before etc, but it is a fabulous way of improving the fitness and its really quite rewarding as you sail past all the stationary cars! Be careful though........
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • ror3h
    ror3h Posts: 68
    My commute is 12 miles too, which I sometimes have to do 7 days a week, then I still usually try and sqeeze in extra miles after work, so I'm sure you'll manage!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    Well done Stevo. I'm sure you'll get back into it soon enough. Having had most of 3 months off the bike I grant you it's hard work and a lot slower, but it will improve. I hope.
  • beams87
    beams87 Posts: 151
    I'm also back on the bike tomorrow morning, although not for 12 miles I am delighted to say.

1 day a week for now, but tomorrow I have to orchetrate getting my suit, jacket, trousers and a shirt into the office. I was forced to do a wee clear out before Christmas, invisaging not going back (I now work from home/my car).

Oh, and my shoes.

No KOM's tomorrow, although I do get to flash my brand new Campy jacket.

Ooooo errrrr watch out SCRacers!
    "A beaten path is for beaten men"
  • It won't kill you - I think Clever Pun rides in from Beckenham daily.

But find a route with as few traffic lights as possible. My mother lives on the far side of Bromley. The ride from work takes about an hour. There are just under 70 sets of traffic lights on the way. Seriously irritating.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    I do a paltry 7.5miles each way every day without fail, and when the mood takes me will extend that for a mission round Richmond Park to clock up 20+ miles of an evening. It's a pleasure - I'm one of the very few people I know who genuinely enjoys my commute as opposed to just enduring it. Cycling is the way forward.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    12 Miles e/w is easily do-able.

You'll be doing it daily before you know it.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Mine is a touch over 12 miles each way. Really easy actually, what's difficult is getting organised and actually doing it, and not having stupidly early meetings so I have time to get a shower on arrival.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    It won't kill you - I think Clever Pun rides in from Beckenham daily.

But find a route with as few traffic lights as possible. My mother lives on the far side of Bromley. The ride from work takes about an hour. There are just under 70 sets of traffic lights on the way. Seriously irritating.

Although if the OP is just getting back into commuting they may well be very welcome! Gives chance to perfect the technique of hyperventilating while trying to look cool and calm to other cyclists at the lights and drivers :)
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    It won't kill you - I think Clever Pun rides in from Beckenham daily.

I have no traffic lights on my 12 mile commute. That makes me feel smug 8)

12 miles is a good commute distance IMHO. Enough to warm you up but short enough to do most days of the week (I try for 3 or 4) and you can extend it if you like. I sometimes loop out and increase the ride 18 miles via Nottingham and 20 ish when I head South.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    +1 on the lights. It's worth going out of your way (within reason) to avoid them, as the constant braking and accelerating adds a lot to the length of journey (not to mention being a PITA in itself). On one route, I worked out that I'd spent 15-20 minutes of an hours ride stood still.

It took me about 6 weeks to get used to 12.5miles from 9.5 miles. Now 12.5miles is the 'short route' and the preferred route is 16.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Ace on getting back to the commute, Stevo. Nowadays I hardly get to commute, every now and then I get to travel through London and take the bike whenever I can (like today). 12 miles is a nice commute - you'll be in good shape soon, I'm sure.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    :shock: And just where have you been? :)
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    Hey Stevo 666 - you should think about signing up to Bromley Cyclists Yahoo Group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bromleycyclists/
    I signed up at the end of last year and they're always organising rides on the weekends (although I've not had the chance to go on one yet).

My commute is only about 6 miles, which is just enough to get warmed up. So I'm well jel of your 12 mile commute!

+1 to avoiding traffic lights, but I'd add to that try to avoid big hills... Going up the hill to Crystal Palace every morning can be a PITA and makes my commute feel more like a 10 mile ride!
  • rjsterry wrote:

Quite! He strolls back in here, without so much as a by-your-leave, no explanations, no nothing... :wink:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    rjsterry wrote:

Quite! He strolls back in here, without so much as a by-your-leave, no explanations, no nothing... :wink:
    +1
    Roastie turning up without warning/explanation etc is like ITB saying he's now a vegetarian teetotaller as a throw-away comment.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Stevo_666
    Good idea on the traffic light minimisation tactics gents. It's pretty good where I start off but gets progressively worse as I get closer to Central London. Having to cross to the North side of town makes it a bit tricky - when I was last commuting I think I got it down to around 40 sets by cutting down back streets once I was across Waterloo Bridge but will need to try a few variations (I'm working very close to where I used to).

@ Daddy0 - weekends are tricky to get good bike time but if I do it's to make some use of my mountain bikes :) Good call on avoiding Crystal Palace - I used to go up Forest Hill a bit further East which ain't as much of a climb.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

+1
    Roastie turning up without warning/explanation etc is like ITB saying he's now a vegetarian teetotaller as a throw-away comment.
    Surely not that extreme?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    Roastie wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

+1
    Surely not that extreme?
    Boff is a teetotal veggie!?! when did that happen?
  • Stevo_666
    Well I survived the first round trip this week - pretty slow and wheezy (55 mins each way plays 50 mins for the same trip which was my best time previously). But not too bad for a first go. Just need more practice - now please sod off, snow!