Bobsleigh World Cup

peat
peat Posts: 1,242
edited January 2013 in The cake stop
Does anyone else watch Bobsleigh?

I'm on my 2nd full season of watching it semi-religiously. Having got to know some of the main sliders, some of the history, the sleds, the tracks etc, it's successfully filling the gap left by motorsport (my main vice) during the winter.

The event i never miss is Women's Skeleton. Once you have had your fill of lycra clad girlies, you will find possibly the most competitive class. There's 8 or 9 ladies who can conceivably win it each weekend. The men's Skeleton is pretty much a shut shop. One bloke has been dominating (like 0.7s faster than everyone else, everywhere!) it since i started watching. After that, Men's & Women's 2 man Bob is always good. The 4 man is just a bit big and clumsy for my liking, but its what i'm sat here watching as i type.

Then, on opposing weekends, is Luge. But there's something about Luge that just doesn't grab me or make me want to watch. Peculiar.

If you have Eurosport, it's well worth a look. There's a race in Igles, Austria next weekend, then its onto St.Moritz for the World Championship week.

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    I watch occassionally (when I've got access to my TV!) but not to the point where I know anything about it. I've also started to get into cross country skiing and biathlon - some lovely, superfit girlies doing those sports!
  • richsieb
    richsieb Posts: 137
    I'm routing for Jamaica this year
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    richsieb wrote:
    I'm routing for Jamaica this year

Why are they incapable of following a bobsleigh course? :wink:
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    I don't watch it, but I have had a go (sort of). A friend of mine used to work in Latvia and when I went over to visit we went to the Olympic bobsleigh course. You can do a tourist ride in a big inflatable bobsleigh which was good fun and gave you a good idea of the course etc. My friend then arranged for me to go in the middle of a proper 4 man bob with a pro driver and brakeman. It was crazy, I lost orientation straight away, (didn't know which way was up) and the G-force was incredible, I couldn't stand up when they lifted me out at the end. It was like the craziest roller coaster ride ever, a great experience. If you ever get the chance, give it a go.
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Yeah, i was all set to be on a proper course at Innsbruck this winter. A company ran week-long courses on Bob and Skel where you would build and build towards a 'race' at the end of the week against the other people on the course.

Sadly, the company in question went under since last winter and took my £75 deposit with them.....

I have seen other things for 'bobsleigh experiences' but they don't have the same allure as they seem to be marketed to the 'stag-do' crowds. I was after something a bit more intensive.

Yours sounds pretty good though. Speaking of Latvia, the 4-man team had a bad loading and it took the 3rd man 2 turns before he was even in the sled. Brown-lycra moment!