I'm thinking of selling up for a better bike

sigorman85
sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
edited January 2013 in Road general
Hi guys I recently bought a road bike 2 months ago and really enjoy it I also have a Xc bike with quite a bit of kit to go with it I was thinking about selling All the Xc gear and bike and maybe the road bike and getting a better road bike as I have a giant defy 4 2012. I wish I bought a carbon fibre road bike now so have any of you guys sold up ? Or will I regret it Im sort of watching my money as looking to get a mortgage later on this year so things are tight as the deposit is ridiculous
When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Best bet seems to be to enjoy what you have and get the house first. If you need to find extra for deposit then sell the CX stuff and keep the road stuff so at least you can still get out there.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Keep your current bike, turn it into your bad weather bike when you can afford a newer more expensive road bike.
  • lemon63
    lemon63 Posts: 253
    dodgy wrote:
    Keep your current bike, turn it into your bad weather bike when you can afford a newer more expensive road bike.

what he said ^
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    lemon63 wrote:
    dodgy wrote:

what he said ^

And I agree with them!

The one BIG problem newcomers have with a very nice bike is they don't want it dirty. So just keep the Defy for all year riding. When you get a nice un, use that for summer days.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • sigorman85
    I don't mind cleaning it down but yeah I might just keep it for now cheers guys
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

• dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Even better news for you, looks like you made a good choice of first bike, your Giant Defy 4 has mudguard eyelets, that probably also means you have comfortable clearance for full 'proper' mudguards.

A mudguard capable bike is almost always the best choice for a first road bike, because eventually it will become your foul weather bike :)
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    sigorman85 wrote:
    I wish I bought a carbon fibre road bike now

Why?

There are a lot of great carbon bikes but don't be fooled into thinking that a carbon bike will make any real difference, particularly as a relative newcomer to cycling. Enjoy the bike you have and, once you have been cycling for a while and are stronger, perhaps that may be the time to think about buying a new bike but you will lose a lot of money selling an almost new bike and the improvement will be minimal. There are threads aplenty here from people saying they have bought a carbon bike but their time around their favourite training route has only dropped from 56 minutes to 54 minutes or something similar.

Upgrading a bike is not like upgrading a car. Fast cars come with fast engines. Fast bikes don't.
  • boogi11
    boogi11 Posts: 354
    I agree with the above posts, make it a winter bike and save for a new one, maybe set some incentives , I know I have..........mmmmmmmm wilier gt. you shall be mine
  • sigorman85
    I have been riding Xc for 2 years properly and have always had a passion for cycling even from young. I'm quite fit and strong thanks to the army.I'm now out of that and work as a cnc engineer and commute to work every day 9 mile there n back I don't really use the Xc bike now twice a month maybe ? Plan was to sell both bikes and Xc kit and get a better road bike I have been told before that the defy 4 is a good beginners bike but its components are quite poor. I suppose I have done the rite thing and bought a cheep road bike to start with to see if I like it witch I really do enjoy going out on it .i also have a specialized camber 2011 this is the one that don't get used a 3rd bike is too many I think so 1 will have to go plus I should be saving but have the "cycling bug" so is it get rid of the defy and keep the spesh as the winter bike and get a better road bike or keep the defy sell the spesh and have 2 road bikes? Or just wait?