How much for headset installation (Surbiton, Surrey)

JimboM
JimboM Posts: 380
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
After spending an hour trying to get a Works Components angle headset into my Intense frame I've given up and think I'm going to have to resort to sending it to the shop. Installed headsets before but the cups were too tight a fit to get them started by hand and when I used the press they were at such an angle that I didn't want to to go any further in case they didn't straighten.

Always done my own repairs/servicing to date so no idea what the going rates are, so how much should I expect to pay for a headset installation. Also can anyone recommend a shop in or around Surbiton in Surrey to do the instal.

Thanks

Jim
Cannondale Synapse 105
Giant FCR3
GT Avalanche 3.0
Canyon Nerve AM 6.0

Comments

• Bright cycles between New Malden & Kingston have always been very helpful when I've popped in.
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My LBS do headsets for a standard price of £10.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Pearson's in Sutton?

SWMBO rates their work very highly.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Siarm
    Siarm Posts: 102
    You tried putting the cups in the freezer and heating up the frame a little?
    Might go in that way?
  • how does the headset feel when your riding
  • second Pearson's in Sutton, cant get a better bike shop. Have they're own team and loads of bike building knowledge. Not the cheapest, but you get what you payfor.
    Corridori (Driftbridge) near Epsom. Top very professional shop, same as above.
    I only use these shops if like you I get stuck (not often) and the work is really delicate.
    If i'm just being lazy then Fudges in Epsom, but nothing too advanced. Mike the manager doesn't look or sound like a rider, but his knowledge is bottomless!

Problem when you start using a press, when things go wrong, they can go very wrong as I'm sure you know!
    Chinese All Carbon Hybrid, mixed with overdraft and research.
    Hong Kong Phoey - Quicker than the human eye!

Not enough: bikes, garage space or time.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    edited January 2014
    I started the installation of my Works Components headset by using a rubber mallet. When it's in about a quarter of the way I switched over to a simple head press. A £5 device from ebay which is just a threaded rod with nuts and washers. It's a tight fit but definitely DIY possible particularly on a non-carbon frame. Oh...and use some grease.

To knock out the old integrated headset I used a large socket and extension rod from a 1/2" socket set. A graphite penetrating spray left to soak in for 10 minutes and then a sharp whack with a hammer.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Agreed, it's perfectly possible to fit a headset with an improvised press or even a block of wood and hammer. I've done it a number of times.

However, with a new frame, I think it's worth getting it done at a shop - you can get the frame faced at the same time too.

That's what I did with my Duster. Cost me £15 with the facing.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Guys, the thread is over a year old, I suspect the OP has got his headset fitted by now!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.