Holiday in Jamaica

buzzwold
buzzwold Posts: 197
edited January 2013 in Tour & expedition
Hi

Anyone out there any knowledge experience of road riding in Jamaica?

I've got a family holiday booked for 10th July 2013 for 14 days and wondering whether I should take my bike with me.Are the roads any good? Is it safe - Foreign Office site does give me cause for concern? Can you hire whilst out there?

I'll be based in Montego Bay.

Thanks
Someone's just passed me again

Comments

• the roads away from the main coast are often in poor nick--but that is not the issue--its the other road 'users' --people seem to drive as if their lives depended on every journey--seriously, they just go round blind corners honkin on the horn hoping you get out of their way--the route taxis, which are the main form of transport just go as fast as they can--its genuinely scary --i would not even consider cycling on the 'road'--you might be ok off road--but you will be limited to places to go-- best enjoying the other things that JA has to offer--get away from the tourist areas--they are just hassle--but youre going to Mo bay-- even up country , the roads are nuts.
  • buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    dylanfernley

Thanks for the heads up. The lack of local Jamaican promotion made me think that it might be a less than good idea. I'll do some more research but I suspect you're right and I'll have to enjoy the JA for what it's bet known for.
    Someone's just passed me again
  • make sure you ride in a route taxi--unforgettable experience-- i stay with friends/relatives away from the tourist resorts,great people, but poverty is everywhere, hence all the higglers at the resorts--can't blame them, there is no welfare state--do not be put off venturing inland or away from tourist resorts--they are the same the world over !