Road Bike ~ £500

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
A mate has asked me to look out for a road bike around £500. I thought I'd ask if anyone has spotted any good deals recently. Thanks.
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• if hes willing to spend alittle bit extra, tell him to get this -
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/peu ... e-ec044184

i bought it on finance, paid 75 pound depoist, then 12 payment of 53 pound... interest free.... ( i bought clipless shoes too)

He can set that up..... then pay a lump sum of 500 pound... then have like 3 payments of 50 and its done.... or if he wants cheaper.... and maybe less quality

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... tAodp1cAsw
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    A mate has asked me to look out for a road bike around £500. I thought I'd ask if anyone has spotted any good deals recently. Thanks.
    The received wisdom seems to be that the best bike <£500 is the Triban 3. That would also leave a bit to buy kit.

Spending a little bit more will always get something nicer and at this price point another £200 will make quite a big difference (there will be a lot more difference between £500 and £700 than there would be between £5000 and £7000) but if your friend is committed to sticking to his budget, that would be a good choice.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I'd get a used bike on that budget, you'll get far more for your money. Try ebay.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    http://sprocketscycles.com/lapierre-aud ... road-bike/

Frame : Alloy 7005
    Fork : Lapierre Carbon
    Headset : Alu S-Integrated 1-1/8
    Bottom Bracket : Shimano Tiagra
    Crankset : Shimano Sora 30X39X50
    Stem : Ritchey Logic 31.8X120mm Black
    Seatpost : Alu 31.6X300mm Full Black
    Handlesbars : Ritchey Logic 31.8x440m
    Front derailleur : Shimano Sora
    Rear derailleur : Shimano Sora
    Brakes : Promax RC-452 Aluminium
    Shifters : Shimano Sora
    Saddle : San Marco Ponza Steel Black
    Wheel : Shimano WHR500
    Sprocket : Shimano 9S 13X25
    Tires : Hutchinson Equinox Black TR 700x23C
    Weight : 9.6kg
    Size : 46-49-52-55-58
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Or read other similar posts

viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12898941#p18076952

Search is your friend.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    Boardman Road Sport bike.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    +1 for secondhand.

£500 secondhand and there is a chance of bagging a carbon road bike with 105 level groupset.
    £500 new doesn't bag a great deal to be honest.

If you are an experienced cyclist you can get him a decent bike from this forum or eBay.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    +1 for second hand also, but I would prefer to see a bike before I bought it. Look in local adds. not eBay. Too risky. You never know whats wrong with it.
  • Bustacapp
    Bustacapp Posts: 971
    Peddle Up! wrote:

Why not spend £300 - £350 on a Carrera from Halfords and then spend the rest on kit? The bike snobs tend to look down their nose at the Carrera's but they are solid bikes. They look a sight better than the Triban 3 too.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Peddle Up! wrote:

Why not spend £300 - £350 on a Carrera from Halfords and then spend the rest on kit? The bike snobs tend to look down their nose at the Carrera's but they are solid bikes. They look a sight better than the Triban 3 too.

Surely you would recommend anything from Ribble :lol:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • snowjho
    snowjho Posts: 108
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Peddle Up! wrote:

No way! Triban 3 over the Carreras :)
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    +1 for second hand also, but I would prefer to see a bike before I bought it. Look in local adds. not eBay. Too risky. You never know whats wrong with it.

I've had some aboslute bargains over the last 4 years from eBay and if you pay by paypal and you feel that you have been sold a 'dog' then just file a case and be repaid. In all honesty, with virtually all of the bikes that I have bought (and sold) they have been more than worth the money.
  • Just bought (and already love) a Felt z95 (2013 model with Sora throughout) - £570. Alloy frame, carbon forks. Utterly brilliant. these guys are my LBS as well, so top blokes.

http://www.cyclelane.co.uk/
    Felt z95 - loving my first road bike
  • Xherdan
    Xherdan Posts: 48
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-All ... =Froogle02

A lot of the people at my Uni cycling club have this. Student budgets presumably determine a bike at that kind of price. I have the 2011 version of the Raleigh Airlite linked above, paid 330 for it which has been a great buy but I would no way pay 500 for it.
  • Bustacapp
    Bustacapp Posts: 971
    smidsy wrote:
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Peddle Up! wrote:

Surely you would recommend anything from Ribble :lol:

By the time you got your bike you could have had a 100% return on the £500 if you had invested it in a standard childrens saving account at Barclays.