What saddlebags fit my bike.

BigStu2
BigStu2 Posts: 794
edited January 2013 in Tour & expedition
augusti2012010.jpg

Hi All,
A group of us are heading through the Alps in summer and I'm looking for a saddlebag to fit ( not much room I know)
I have seen the topeak RX/MTX (straight) beam racks and click-in bags with folddown panniers and I believe they would fit ithout a problem however I like the look of the Carradice Nelson longflap with the SQR uplift but as you can see there is not much room back there. Any ideas?
.........all
...at........work
fun..................&
..no.............no
.....is......play

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I reckon you could fit a Carradice Nelson or even a Camper Longflap with a Bagman support.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Mercia Man wrote:
    I reckon you could fit a Carradice Nelson or even a Camper Longflap with a Bagman support.
    I agree. It is a very good combination too.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    A Bagman QR and Nelson Longflap would work well, IF the Bagman fits your bike.

Carradice say that the drop on the Expedition model is 17cm, and 15cm on the standard model. This would probably be between the saddle rails and the bottom of the support frame. You'd also need a few cm on top to allow for the base of the bag sagging between the supports (unless you fit a stiffener inside). There's also the question of the 2 support struts. Ideally these would go on the cantilever bosses, but you'd have to track down longer bolts and suitable adapters. OMM racks attach to canti/V bosses, so something suitable should be findable. Alternatively, use the Carradice seat post collar.
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Mercia Man wrote:
    I agree. It is a very good combination too.

+1. I used this combination for a ride across France (Channel to Med) a couple of years ago and it worked well.