What tyres on a budget

zanush
zanush Posts: 161
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
After a nasty incident today in a muddy slopfest i've decided i definitely need to replace the originaly fitted mountain kings but atm i can only really afford up to about £50 for 2 tyres tbh. I mainly ride at delamere which is ridiculously muddy atm and llandegla and was looking at these nobby nics http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/39836/Schwalbe_Nobby_Nic_Performance_Folding_Tyre
Would these be a reasonable choice considering my budget?
Boardman Fs Team
Felt F95

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    £50 is a healthy budget and will mean you'll score a good compound, and lighter folding beads.

The ones you link to are fine, but I'd go for a full on mud tyre.
  • zanush
    Cheers for the reply super ;)
    My main issue looks like clearance at the back as even with these 2.2 mountain kings it doesn't look like there's a great deal of scope for going bigger. What full on mud tyre would be a good choice?
    Cheers
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • freebs
    freebs Posts: 199
    I'm interested in new tyres too. What would you recommend for mud Super? I've also looked at On One own brand which seem well priced. Are they any good? Thanks, Freebs.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Mud tyres tend to be narrower, was a good round up in WMB this month.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    The hans dampfs are out of stock and have been for a while. When they come back in stock you have to be quick as they are gone in a few days.

I'd recommend the nobby nics in Gatestar compound from the website linked above. They were great at llandegla and work pretty much everywhere. They're cheap ATM too, only 19 quid each from bike-discount for the 2012 versions, which are identical to the more expensive 2013's.
  • zanush
    Thanks for the replies ;)
    I'll get the nobby nics will have to wait for them to come into stock though at bike-discount or could just get some here http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYSCNICEVO/schwalbe_nobby_nic_evo_folding_tyre for a bit more. 2009 production vs 2012 production from the descriptions, does that make any difference tbh?
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    There is a huge difference. The tread pattern was altered for 2011 I think and the compound is very different. The ones I linked are a special compound, designed for Jared Graves and other 4cross racers, they have a supersoft compound for the outer tread blocks and a faster rolling centre compound. I have used Nobby Nics for years and the Gatestar ones are the pick of the bunch, the grip is outstanding compared to the other compounds they offer. I'd wait for the gatestars to come back in stock, I will be as I want another set for my hardtail.
  • zanush
    I'll wait for them to come in to stock ;)
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95