Stan's NoTubes Kit Issue

theblarney
theblarney Posts: 102
edited March 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I wanted to try the whole Tubeless thing so I bought the Stan's NoTubes Standard Kit while I look for some tubeless rims etc.

I am trying to using my Bontrager XR4 tyres (not the TLR version) and one issue I am having is trying to get enough air into the tyre to inflate it.

What I am finding is that both beads either side of the tyre instead of coming out so that they touch the rim they go inwards, which makes inflating impossible, see below:

I have tried the soapy water trick and tapped the tyre every few inches to rey and get it to take shape. I am using a track pump and think maybe a compressor will help.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gavin

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Track pump just hasn't got enough puff. Compressor is needed.
  • Fit an inner tube & inflate to mount the bead onto the rim
    Leave a little while make sure the tyre is seated evenly

deflate and remove inner tube one side only apply some soapy water and try your track pump again
    If the untouched side of tyre is still mounted to the rim you should have better luck to mount seal the tyre completely.

If the bead doesn't lock with your rim tyre combination a compressor is your next port of call.
  • Job done.....

AF8ABD18-3CEF-4F98-AE5D-A34560ED2D0E-206-0000001F3D3EDD86_zps0a0823b0.jpg
  • good work with the garden sprayer compressor!! some of us have diy'd a mini compressor out of a 2l pop bottle, acouple of valves and a bit of rubber tube, does the same job as the garden sprayer effectively,
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Job done.....

AF8ABD18-3CEF-4F98-AE5D-A34560ED2D0E-206-0000001F3D3EDD86_zps0a0823b0.jpg

That is cool, I think paying £60 for a compressor just to seat the tyre every now again might be a bit much but your method looks good.

How did you do it?
  • Yeah I started off with the ghetto bottle job but found it a bit of a faff. The garden sprayer was something like £12 (half price) in a homemade sale. I just unscrewed the nozzle off the end and drilled out the plastic end a little to be a nice snug fit on the valve core.

All you do is pump up the compressor and pull the lever and watch the tyre pop into place :) really is that simple. Serves two purposes too as I use it to wash my bike after a ride (sling it in the boot)....and great as an emergency tyre inflator if you need to do any running repairs in the car park :)
  • daff
    daff Posts: 81
    I know it's an old thread, but just wanted to say that I used the garden sprayer, or to be more precise a Cuprinol deck sprayer compressor today and it has worked beautifully!

Had messed around with a 2 litre pop bottle, but couldn't get it to work well enough. Grabbed the sprayer from the shed, added a bit of 5mm tube to the spray lance and it was good to go! Really did work well.

Acheap fix, Well worth a go