Trek 7.0 FX 2012 @ £240 - can I get any better for the money

HokkaHokka
HokkaHokka Posts: 46
edited January 2013 in Commuting general
Hi

I'm trialing the Trek 7.0 FX tomorrow (See below)

http://www.cyclesuk.com/product/7.0_FX_ ... 10102512-1

I know it's not much for a reasonable bike but I've got two kids and work two jobs so it still feels like an extravagance to me! Before, I take the plunge, I just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts or alternative suggestions...

My commute is 3 miles each way, with a gradual uphill incline on the return leg. I am a novice so was previously thinking about a single speed after having a bad experience with a Carrera Subway. (Which I have since been told was proably poorly set up) Still haven't ruled the single speed option out completely...

Thanks
HH

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It will do the job fine, but there are better for the money. Am afraid to say the Standard subway is better in many areas most notably the gear set (8 speed vs 7 speed, the former being wider ranging and uses the more solidly built freehub system which increases the rear axle strength), the headset (Aheadset vs the heavy and usually poorly sealed threaded with quill stem), alloy bars (saves a chunk of weight and much more forgiving) and possibly the brakes.

However if it fits well and you get the spanners out and keep it maintained and adjusted it will work well for you.
  • Hello

I've just noticed the following link which was posted in reply to a previous thread - this has thrown a spanner in the works. It looks pretty good:

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... brid-bikes

On the upside the maintenance will be simpler but on the downside, the gradual uphill slope will be trickier - still I guess I would get fitter....hmmm

Thanks to ipete for the link

HH
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It's a very good weight, but you lose the gears. But then again I don't find gears hard to look after, and this is from a mountain biker who rides through axle deep mud lol.