GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition

adowling92
adowling92 Posts: 225
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
Got my new GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition yesterday, and decided to take it for a spin!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOrzUdpBGvI
Enjoy :)
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. --John F. Kennedy

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Felt a bit seasick with the swaying :? :wink:

Trying to decide if the image quality is really that much better than my old GoPro HD

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Qs5gMz8cM

I have a GoPro 3 Black Edition coming to replace it - just not sure it's worth the money (even with the 40% customer service discount I got) over and above the HD
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I've got the Mk1 GoPro HD and TBH shooting footage on bright sunny days like in your video or like they have endlessly in California is never an issue.

I'd be more interested to see how it performs on dull, overcast, soft northern light days because that's when the Mk1 struggles.
    FCN = 4
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    You'll never be able to judge image quality on Youtube.

The swaying is less of a problem than the soundtrack for me.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • MTB-Idle wrote:
    I've got the Mk1 GoPro HD and TBH shooting footage on bright sunny days like in your video or like they have endlessly in California is never an issue.

I'd be more interested to see how it performs on dull, overcast, soft northern light days because that's when the Mk1 struggles.

I'll try get some footage in those kind of lights.
    You'll never be able to judge image quality on Youtube.

The swaying is less of a problem than the soundtrack for me.

Each to their own.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    for example, here's some footage in decent light

Col de Lauteret

and here's some taken this winter

Hit or Miss
    FCN = 4
  • meanredspider
    To be fair, my HD performed fine at races at Knockhill in pretty much all weathers (tends not to be too sunny at Knockhill).
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    Is that in slo-mo?

:wink:
  • Felt a bit seasick with the swaying :? :wink:

Trying to decide if the image quality is really that much better than my old GoPro HD

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Qs5gMz8cM

I have a GoPro 3 Black Edition coming to replace it - just not sure it's worth the money (even with the 40% customer service discount I got) over and above the HD

Did you change the youtube video to stream full HD? 1080p.
  • meanredspider
    adowling92 wrote:

It didn't give me that option. 720 was the best I could get (running through an iPad). But that doesn't really matter on a smallish screen anyway. I'm looking forward to the greater resolution only so I can crop the image. The greater frame rate might be useful for Slo Mo but I don't know I'll have much use for that.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    adowling92 wrote:

It didn't give me that option. 720 was the best I could get (running through an iPad). But that doesn't really matter on a smallish screen anyway. I'm looking forward to the greater resolution only so I can crop the image. The greater frame rate might be useful for Slo Mo but I don't know I'll have much use for that.

FYI - I run my Contour HD at 720p / 60 fps as it gives clearer images than 1080p / 30 fps. While moving at any kind of speed the 30 fps gets motion blurring very quickly. The 60 fps capture rate sorts this out.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter