What tyres for........London to Brighton off road?

andymc06
andymc06 Posts: 245
edited April 2013 in MTB buying advice
I have signed up to the London to Brighton off road event in September. It's 75 miles on bridleways, old railway tracks and a bit of woodland singletrack I believe. I would appreciate some opinions regarding tyre choice. I'd be looking for something light and fast rolling that I could use afterwards for the extremely rare occasions that the trails are dry. I'll be doing it on my Trance X3 which has 26 inch tyres currently on the Giant standard rims.
Cheers
Andy
If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011

Comments

• xcmad
    xcmad Posts: 110
    Sep can be rainy. If dry Racing Ralphs, if mid/wet Hutchinson Toro.

The Toro rides really well, but doesn't last that long.
  • J3w3ll3r
    J3w3ll3r Posts: 86
    Ooh, I'm signed up for this, in fact just started week night riding to build up stamina

I was thinking of fitting fast rolling tyres if its dry maybe somthing like Maxis Ikon 29ers
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    I did it last year on a hardtail with Rocket Rons and they were ideal. But I would go as far as saying that a Conti Race King on the rear would be ideal.

The first part is all canal towpaths, a bit of a climb through the woods in the surrey hills (Winterfold) and you've then got the downslink (old railway) which is back to being a hard smoothish surface.

when you reach Bramber, there is a climb up the downs, but again it's fairly solid if a little bumpy, then a chalk descent into Southwick on the coast. Nothing that requires anything knobbly. Fast rolling all the way.

It's great fun...see you there!