More noob questions...

Riggsy12
Riggsy12 Posts: 156
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
Got a few more noob questions :D

Why do certain wheels fit certain groupsets? How do I know what wheels will fit what I have?

How much should I spend on a seatpost? I'm the type of fella that only wants to buy once.

Cheers.

Comments

• Campagnolo use a different freehub design to Shimano and SRAM.

As for seatposts, unless it's a carbon fibre seatpost, you don't need to spend a lot of money on it; the seatpost is a very, very basic thing and you're very unlikely to break one. Carbon fibre seatposts are often preferred for comfort, but it's an indulgence; there are far better things to do with the money if funds are tight, for example.
  • Riggsy12
    Campagnolo use a different freehub design to Shimano and SRAM.

As for seatposts, unless it's a carbon fibre seatpost, you don't need to spend a lot of money on it; the seatpost is a very, very basic thing and you're very unlikely to break one. Carbon fibre seatposts are often preferred for comfort, but it's an indulgence; there are far better things to do with the money if funds are tight, for example.

Thanks for the reply. But how do I know what wheel will work/fit my bike then?
  • Riggsy12
    I'm pretty sure I have an older campagnolo groupset. But how do I know what wheels are compatible?
  • Riggsy12
    No wait groupset includes the lot ie brake calipers doesn't it...

I have shimano calipers and rear mech. But campag levers???
  • It's the cassette that limits the wheel choice. Does it say SRAM, shimano or campag on it?

Sounds like a strange setup btw!?!
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    If you have a Shimano or SRAM cassette you need a Shimano freehub. If you have Campag cassette you need Campag freehub.

Any wheels can have either freehub, you just need to specify which one you require (if buying new) or check what they have (if getting used).

Also campag levers are unlikely to give good shifting with Shimano mech. Levers and mechs are best kept to the same makes.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Riggsy12
    Ok thanks very much, it reads Shimano on the cassette.

So I have Campagnolo mirage levers and front chain rings. Shimano rear derailleur, cassette and brake calipers.