Tapered Steerer or 15mm Maxle.

2»

Comments

• mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Shame! I'd be interested to see just how different 15mm and 20mm are.
  • twonks
    twonks Posts: 352
    Whilst I like the idea of both options, I am somewhat perplexed by opinions and 'studies' of quick release forks being weak and about to kill me.

Back in the day (2000), I had a set of Pace RC36 evoII forks, with a Hope ti skewer and 180mm (ish) Hope C2 brakes

Now acording to many I should have had a nasty accident and my front wheel would have been uncontrolable on anything other than tarmac.

However, I used to ride everywhere up in the Yorkshrie Dales (Mainly Ramsgill), and some of the downhill sections were rutted, rocky and very fast. Not once did my front wheel (Mavic 317 (original one) and Hope sport hub) ever feel like it was going to fall out, nor did the wheel or QR move or come loose.

Of course, as time progressed I changed components, and I wasn't especially sad to see the Pace forks go - but equally they never felt out of depth.

After all that, I'm interested to try some forks with a 15mm axle :mrgreen:
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I don't think any one is saying a QR or non tapered fork is dangerous in any way? I'm certainly not anyway. Just that more control can be had with stiffer forks.
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    i remember when they started doing oversized hubs to stiffen up the original suspension forks, i always felt if you just tighten up a QR a bit more then it puts the flex back to the hub to deal with.
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    BTW, anyone ever seen any data comparing QR vs 9mm bolt-up?
  • Mike Deere
    Mike Deere Posts: 4,259
    Having used a 20mm axle for most of the past 10 years thanks to finding QR forks way too flexy, I can honestly say I've never had a problem with a 1"1/8th steerer tube. Saying that the last 4 months has been the first time in my life that I've had forks with an alloy steerer rather than steel, so we'll see how that holds up.