Seatpost clamp issue

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
On the RL, Its got a fixed bolt instead of the usual QR.

Its fine, the only issue being that there is about 1cm of extra bolt thread showing and I keep catching my knee/kneepads on it!

Can I just cut off some of the extra thread or is there another solution?

Pics:

temporary-96.jpg

Comments

• You can cut the bolt down to size, that is probably the easier solution.
    Scott Scale 50 (Custom Spec)
    Scott Genius LT 30
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Remove, put on a cheap disposeable steel nut, cut off, file thread back on, remove cheap nut to straighten thread, file again to neaten the end, refit..... Cut off in situ and you'll end up will a nasty end!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Exactly as The Beginner says, if you still have some thread left you could always put a dome nut on for a smoother edge.
  • If you cut between 2 nuts you'll get a strater edge with less need to file.
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    Measure the external diameter of the seat tube, buy a QR or bolt up to fit. Dump the one that's on there (or keep for when you sell the frame on)
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Two things with that
    1/ Probably not a standard size as no need for it to
    2/ It's going to look silly with those bosses underneath it

Personally I'd sort that QR.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.