Base layers

2»

Comments

• Ok so a quick google, and the under armour heat gear works by spreading the sweat over a wider area and letting it evaporate, that's what the material does.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Yeah that's what I was kinda thinking as well (recalling gcse science now), the problem is whatever this fabric does it works, I feel better, cooler when I wear the heat gear than when I don't wear it ( or it just is all in my head)

It's just in your head. Think about it; would you be hotter or cooler if you took the outer garment off?
  • Garry H
    Ok so a quick google, and the under armour heat gear works by spreading the sweat over a wider area and letting it evaporate, that's what the material does.

But that ignores the fact that wearing two layers makes sweat evaporate a lot slower and also increases the thermal properties of your clothing "system" .

See, i've really thought about this and cannot think of any reason how adding a layer of clothing makes you cooler, unless one of them is an ice vest :lol:
  • beams87
    beams87 Posts: 151
    It surely depends what you wear over your under layer.

If you wear a medium/thick winter jacket like I am ATM, then a thin Merino (On One and Planet X Sleeveless) is all you need.

If you want to wear a race top, then a synthetic one with more wicking might be the answer.

FYI I also have an Ice Breaker (HH) and it is the bees knees.
    "A beaten path is for beaten men"
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    edited January 2013
    For a local 25 miler I wear any cotton t shirt out of the drawer, then an Aldi long sleeve bike top then a nylon gilet and a waterproof jacket over that. It seems to work fine and been out in minus 6 without a problem. On all day low temperature club runs I substitute the t shirt for a long sleeved Aldi base layer but that does stink under the arms at the end of the day. It's fresh sweat though :)
    I use a normal pair of Lycra cycling shorts plus a pair of Crane cycling longs over the top for the bottom half. All seems to work fine. It's the feet that seem to suffer with me. Still working on that.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I've used Helly, Craft and Icebreaker (all in various forms).
    They're all good. All work. The merino Icebreaker ones would be my favourite, but they cost a bit more.

However, I don't buy into merino not smelling as bad as the others. Generally none of them ever smell, but if worn for a few days without cleaning option, they all stink (merino might even be worst).
    exercise.png
  • Garry H
    Yeah I agree with the logic of it all, but it does seem to work

Emperor's new clothes!
  • Garry H
    TheStone wrote:
    I've used Helly, Craft and Icebreaker (all in various forms).
    They're all good. All work. The merino Icebreaker ones would be my favourite, but they cost a bit more.

However, I don't buy into merino not smelling as bad as the others. Generally none of them ever smell, but if worn for a few days without cleaning option, they all stink (merino might even be worst).

Merino is reasonably good at wicking, though not as good as man made fibres. I think it's main advantage is that it doesn't lose much of it's insulating ability, even if it is wet, unlike polyester etc. It doesn't matter what all the prodcers claim, if you work hard enough, your baselayer will eventually saturate.

You're right in that it will eventually stink after a few days though. I've worn and slept in the same one for about 5 days in a row and, apparently, I smelled like a sheep afterwards :mrgreen:

The dearer man made ones now contain elments that are supposed to help keep them odour free for longer. I've seen charcoal, bamboo and silver being used. These do tend to work quite well.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Garry H wrote:

Emperor's new clothes!
    Not necessarilly. I conducted a test while in central France with temperatures in the low 30s Celcius.
    One day with a thin merino base layer and jersey. Next day, same route without the baselayer.
    Positives for the baselayer - Less clammy.
    Positives for without - feeling the wind on your skin with the zip down.

I know that it goes against logic but I now wear base layers at all times based on an experiment.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Garry H
    daviesee wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

Emperor's new clothes!
    Not necessarilly. I conducted a test while in central France with temperatures in the low 30s Celcius.
    One day with a thin merino base layer and jersey. Next day, same route without the baselayer.
    Positives for the baselayer - Less clammy.
    Positives for without - feeling the wind on your skin with the zip down.

I know that it goes against logic but I now wear base layers at all times based on an experiment.

I did a similar one using a craft summer baselayer on a very warm day in East Lothian It does happen). Wore it under a short-sleeved club jersey, took it off after an hour and shoved it in my back pocket and hey presto! I was instantly cooler and a lot less clammy.

I always work on the belief that if someone cannot explain how something works to me, then I assume that it doesn't. I've yet to hear a convinving argument as to how adding a layer of clothing can make you colder, unless it's an ice vest! I've never actually heard of this phenomenon in anything other than cycling.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Garry H wrote:
    I've yet to hear a convinving argument as to how adding a layer of clothing can make you colder, unless it's an ice vest! I've never actually heard of this phenomenon in anything other than cycling.
    I am not claiming cooler, just more comfortable.
    I doubt I will change anyone's mind, just as mine won't. As long as we are all happy. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    I've yet to hear a convinving argument as to how adding a layer of clothing can make you colder, unless it's an ice vest! I've never actually heard of this phenomenon in anything other than cycling.
    I would imagine there is a possibility of a light white, long sleeved cotton shirt stopping the sun from burning and so cooling you down as you ride or making you more comfortable,
  • Garry H
    daviesee wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    I am not claiming cooler, just more comfortable.
    I doubt I will change anyone's mind, just as mine won't. As long as we are all happy. :wink:

OK, just more comfortable. Mind you, depending on where you were in France, it may have been a lot more arid than it is in North Berwick :wink:
  • Garry H
    bigjim wrote:
    I would imagine there is a possibility of a light white, long sleeved cotton shirt stopping the sun from burning and so cooling you down as you ride or making you more comfortable,

Possibly, but not if worn underneath another garment and not in the uk where it's relatively humid compared to a lot of European countries.

We're talking about adding a wicking layer that would cool you down by removing sweat from the surface of the skin :?
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Merino base layers unless its the height of summer in which case I switch to synthetic under armour or Nike compression bases.

Marino both ice breaker and rapha are great, rapha look awesome. Bot are also great for skiing or hiking, etc. Merino wicks very well and you can wear repeatedly before it starts to smell as long as you let it air overnight. Handy for trips where. You need to travel light.