Tyres too tight to get on rim

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm trying to fit a pair of High Roller DH tyres on my Nukeproof Generator rims. They are extremely tight and I keep pinching the tube. Any tips?

Comments

• Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Not quite sure stage you are at, but:

If you can one bead on, then slip the tube in. If you have presrtas then just nip the ring up.

In flate the tube enough so that it is out of the way and then gently feed the second beed round.

I find easiest way with a tight one, is to sit cross legged on the floor; with the valve neareast your belly button.

Then work you way round (one hand per side) until they meet at the top, sort of 12:00. If the bead will not quite go over, gently ease it with a plastic lever.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Thats pretty much what I'm doing but I think I might have to use metal levers, they are that tight. All tyres I have fitted on these rims have been a real bitch to get on and off.
    Can't wait to get the wheels rebuilt with some Mavic rims.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Are they the rebadged MTX 29's? A lot of people seem to complain about tyres being really hard to get on and off of them. I know it doesn't help you any but I honestly can't think of a single tyre I have really struggled getting on or off them and the list includes 2.35 dual ply High Rollers, 2.5 dual ply High Roller's, 2.4 dual ply and single ply Ardent's, 2.25 Crossmark's and 2.3 Baron's. If you're thinking of changing to 721's, I personally wouldn't. The Nukeproof's are slightly wider, lighter and have proved to be every bit as strong as 721's with me plus I haven't ever seen a tyre blow off them whereas I have witnessed 3 blowing off 721's, admittedly one was very dinged. It's obviously your choice though, just thought I would state my opinion.

In fact, the only tyre/rim combo I can think of that I've had troubles with was an old Hutchinson Tubeless 2.5 DH tyre (think it was a Barracuda) on an MTX 33 rim but that was still doable with plastic tyre levers.
  • jolmes
    jolmes Posts: 144
    I have a pair of generator rims and really struggled putting a pair of RQ's on, took me and a mate battling with it at each side once we got to the 10 and 2 position with tyre levers to force it on, later found out that they are some big ass side walls and were clipping the bridge on my frame on the rear. Put some Ignitors on this evening and they slipped right on with barely a fight. Only thing I can suggest what helped me was to get someone else to aid you in holding em down while you squeeze em in
  • get some pedros tyre levers if you need strong ones, not metal.

Lifetime warranty so if you do manage to snap it, you get another lol.
  • Jangs
    Jangs Posts: 10
    ...having the same prob. I have managed to get the tyres on but they are totally off centre. Sick and tyred [sorry] of it.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    you're probably already doing this, but what the hell

get 2/3 of the tyre bead onto the rim.
    go back to the start bit, push the tyre bead into rims centre channel.
    work outwards back toward the remaining bit, trying to make sure the tyre bead you're leaving behind stays in that centre channel

helps to not have much air in the tube - it'll push the tyre bead back out of the centre channel. sun's don't have a deep centre channel like some rims, its a blessing and a curse in equal measure
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Nicklouse +1, do it properly, very few (if any) combinations will need levers, much less likely to damage your rims, tyres and tubes!
  • gregwari
    gregwari Posts: 230
    apologies if I'm repeating anything but I have similar issues with Conti's and Stans rims. I've found the best approach is:
    1. Put the first half of the tyre in the centre of the rim
    2. Partially inflate the inner tube, just to the point where it holds it shape
    3. Put something like fairly liquid on the tyre bead and the rim before trying to seat the second half of the tyre
    Not sure how tight the fit is... if it's anything like the Stans rims you have to seat the bead from the first side dead centre or you'll never get the tyres on (with or without tyre irons), inflating the inner tube should stop it pinching and putting fairly liquid on the remaining side of the rim / bead removes just enough friction to seat the tyre

... failing that, go tubeless!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Bit of soapy water round the beads of the tyres works wonders :)
  • adebisi
    adebisi Posts: 52
    you're probably already doing this, but what the hell

get 2/3 of the tyre bead onto the rim.
    go back to the start bit, push the tyre bead into rims centre channel.
    work outwards back toward the remaining bit, trying to make sure the tyre bead you're leaving behind stays in that centre channel

helps to not have much air in the tube - it'll push the tyre bead back out of the centre channel. sun's don't have a deep centre channel like some rims, its a blessing and a curse in equal measure
    +1

Discovering the centre channel helped me. Pushing the bead into it gives you the extra room needed to push the tyre on the rim. Remember that you need to inflate the tyres to higher than normal pressure to make sure that the bead pops into its proper place (you usually hear a sound). Once the bead sit firmly against the rim, deflate to normal pressure.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    nicklouse wrote:

Just when you think you know it all.... the toe strap thing is a great tip, tried it at the weekend
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer