Mavic crossride wheelset

ry1978
ry1978 Posts: 166
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
I have just bought a set of Mavic crossride wheels from Merlin and have fitted my shimano 9speed cassette. The wheels came with what looks like a small shim/washer around a millimetre thick that goes onto the body before the cassette slides on and sits between the largest sprocket and the spokes.

My previous shimano hubs didn't have this shim/washer and now that I have put the wheels onto the bike it looks like the smallest sprocket sits very close to the seatstay. It doesn't clash although I haven't fitted the chain yet so it may at that time.
Does anyone know wether I actually need this shim or can it be removed if there is a clash? :?
Specialized Roubaix
Cannondale F900 SL
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR120

Comments

• bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    The shim needs to go under the cassette as the Mavic freehub is slighty wider than the Shimano specification.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have crossrides, you need the shim as the Mavic freehub is wider to take a 10 speed cassette at 9 speed spacing, it never took off though so the hub is the only bit you can get for that idea!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.