Need help!!!

Whufcrule
Whufcrule Posts: 131
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
Hi lads I got new road bike and everything come on it ultegra apart from the cassette witch was a cheaper tiagra I do believe it was 12x28 as standard and I have just bought a ultegra cassette and fitted it the new one is 11x28 and in the last two gears the chain just slips it won't grip at all why is that I need help lads??????? Many thanks it never slipped before until I put the new one on

Comments

• Is the bike literally new, or used? This can happen when trying to use old chains with new cassettes/freewheels, and vice versa.
  • Whufcrule
    Literally everything is brand new a week old today so chain only had weeks riding on it and its brand new cassette I'm wondering if chain to long?? It's when I'm in hardest gear at front and hardest gear at back it just slips and slips ???????
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    The last two or three cogs are supplied loose from the body of the cassette. It is almost impossible to fit them on wrongly. Can you go into a lot more detail and we'll resolve this?
  • Whufcrule
    What else do u wanna know I know I've put the cassette on properly cos like u say it can't go on wrong and it all seems to shift ok shifts onto the bottom cog and it just won't seem to grip I'm sure the chain is to long as its very slack looking when I on hardest gear at front hardest gear on the back any help???
  • woodywmb
    What doesn't seem to grip? The chain? The cogs on the cassette? The chain will be slack because you're running it on the smallest cassette ring. Does the derailleur line up exactly below each cassette ring as you move it along the range? Is the derailleur pushing the chain up to touch the ring?
  • Whufcrule
    I don't know what u mean about it pushing the chain?? Is it because I've dropped one cog??? Really strange as its all ultegra I thought it would fit straight on I not done nothing else only put the cassette on and it wasn't slipping before on the old one??????
  • woodywmb
    What do you mean you dropped one cog? I take it you have 10 cogs, ie 10 speed, on both cassettes. However, if one (Tiagra) is a nine and the other (Ultegra) is a ten, the shifter can't cover the full range of gears.
    What is it that's slipping? The chain?
  • Whufcrule
    Yeah there both 10 speed cogs mate but the tiagra was a 12x28 and the new one is a 11x28 so I've dropped one little tooth aint I I've got 11 rather than 12?? Yeah I'd def say the chain is slipping it won't grip the teeth ???
  • Finlaz22
    Finlaz22 Posts: 169
    Unless the gear changing was sloppy before you changed the cassette down one tooth, that's not likely to be the cause for it to slip. You can go quite comfortably from a 13-26, for example, to a 11-28 by only changing cassette, and the chain too if that needs adjusting. So I'd hazard a guess your chain is too long or the rear mech was originally poorly installed (although that seems odd as it's Ultegra).
  • Whufcrule
    Yeah I'm thinking the chain is to long mate I can't see it was poorly installed as like u say it decent bit off kit the bike cost me 2100 quid so I'd hope it wasn't poorly installed is it easy to shorten a chain ya self?? It's a shimano chain how much should I shorten it by??
  • Whufcrule
    I dunno what to do I've tried turning the little barrel thing on the cable but that didn't solve it it's not lining up very well with the biggest cog on the back and it's just slipping terribly on the smallest cog on back any ideas lads??????????????
  • What I would do is take it to my local bike shop.
    Luckily my one is reasonably priced and I would expect to pay £10 for a gear service.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • woodywmb
    If the chain won't reach the biggest cog and won't stay in the smallest cog, the limit screws on the mech need adjusted. Check the Park Tools website to get information on how to do this. See H and L limit screws and B screw tensioner. After that the barrell adjuster will enable you to fine tune when the derailleur moves from one cog to another. I suggest you go to a bike shop if you are unsure how to proceed. A mechanic can do this in minutes, blindfolded.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... derailleur
  • Did you install the spacer when you installed the new cassette? I think that the Tiagra cassette has a built in spacer but for other cassettes you need to install a spacer before you put the cassette on...
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    gloomyandy wrote:
    Did you install the spacer when you installed the new cassette? I think that the Tiagra cassette has a built in spacer but for other cassettes you need to install a spacer before you put the cassette on...

This. The Ultegra 10 speed cassette needs a spacer installing to the freehub before the cassette is stacked. When you tighten the lockring there should be no play in the cassette on the freehub.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • woodywmb
    Good call. The spacer would indeed make all the difference. I assume it would come with the cassette although I see plenty of 1mm versions online.
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    Whufcrule wrote:
    I dunno what to do I've tried turning the little barrel thing on the cable but that didn't solve it it's not lining up very well with the biggest cog on the back and it's just slipping terribly on the smallest cog on back any ideas lads??????????????
    Where are you based?