Is sex important in a relationship: - 'This Morning' on ITV

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
I was off work on Tuesday due to my annual health check and I got roped into watching This Morning and they had this little segment: Is sex important in a relationship

On the show there were two women (one having regular sex with her 'man' and the other, a mother, who goes months without having sex ) arguing over whether sex was important to a relationship.

What was interesting was that 69% of viewers (and we can question the demographic) agreed with the Mum who goes months without having sex with her man. Now a prossie (a few) are saying "then you wonder why these men come see us". And Mums net is littered with threads where women have happened across their other half's 'adultwork' account... So clearly there is an issue or a misconception on one groups part.

So I put it to you, in your view is sex important to a relationship or would you happily go months without shagging your other half without ever thinking about straying?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    sorry but, no in & out an im straight outta there....

tis nature

i remember speaking my mrs's boss in a taxi (my mrs was there also) an she was saying her an husband sleep in separate beds an have done for years n years...

me being pished said "pfft why dont you move out then an get your groove on with someone else?!"

which she replied with "oh i dont need any of that, im too old" she was only about 50
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Jeez; Another thread was started asking where the man was, he comes back with a blinder!

Yes it is important.

Tricky when they are pregnant and it ain't pretty or graceful...... :shock:
  • DonDaddyD
    Who voted 'no' MAN UP! Post your thoughts and opinions so we can flam... er.. respond in a constructive manner. Go on, dare you!

Me? Sex isn't the most important part of a relationship but it is a part of the relationship and if neglected, like another other aspect of a relationship, can become a major issue.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Weren't for me that...
    Food Chain number = 4

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Weren't for me that...

I would say brown wings but some idiot would accuse me of being racist :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    What's the saying? "Sex is like oxygen, it's only important if you aren't getting any."
    Except I reckon it is important when you are getting some.
    Regarding the pregnancy thing, MTFU you pair of wimps.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Poll fail. A binary option says it either is, or it isn't.

There's a midway point that says 'yeah it's a part of it but not a dominant factor'. And there's no ageing factor. For those of us whose ages start with a number higher than 4 its importance starts to wain.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Weren't for me that...

I would say brown wings but some idiot would accuse me of being racist :wink:

not even for christmas or my birthday
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • DonDaddyD
    CiB wrote:

There's a midway point that says 'yeah it's a part of it but not a dominant factor'. And there's no ageing factor. For those of us whose ages start with a number higher than 4 its importance starts to wain.
    So why get the snip if you aren't going to get laid all that often?

I want to know that I'm at least 80 before the gaps between sex starts getting into the months as oppose to weeks, days.
    Food Chain number = 4

• TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    and I got roped into watching This Morning

You managed to bunk a day off work and wasted it watching that rubbish??
    Is loose women still going and that game with the boxes?
    exercise.png
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Yes it's important. And it's always interesting that for every one of those 69% of daytime television watching housewives that voted "no" there will be at least one other that is fucking the brains out of their bored husbands! (Again, where do "Mumsnet" think half of the female accounts come from?!)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    So that when we do, we do, without interruption, hesitation or repetition etc. Deviation is ok. It's quality not quantity when you get past the rush of youth. Not that I'd mind a rush of youth from time to time, esp with some of what we've got in this building. :wink:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    CiB wrote:

I want to know that I'm at least 80 before the gaps between sex starts getting into the months as oppose to weeks, days.

Because if it's a now-and-then thing, when the mood does take you, you don't want to start by spending half an hour storming round the house demanding to know who has moved the...
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    @DDD - Are you stalking on mumsnet again?

[pregnant]

Closest I get to sex at the moment is stroking the fecking dog.....

I think that's also the closest that the dog gets too! :shock:

[/pregnant]
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    :roll:
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    If you'd have asked me when I was 25 I'd have said yes. I'm a 35 year old dad now, and I say no, its not important. If it is important to you then for heavens sake - don't have a baby!!! :cry:
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Daddy0 wrote:
    If you'd have asked me when I was 25 I'd have said yes. I'm a 35 year old dad now, and I say no, its not important. If it is important to you then for heavens sake - don't have a baby!!! :cry:

Really? Not my experience of sex during pregnancy or after. You just need to man up, ask the question more often and get it on when she says "and I thought you'd gone off me....."!!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    On the show there were two women (one having regular sex with her 'man'

I wonder whether I can watch that "on demand".
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Important, yes. Fundamental, no.

It's certainly an issue when one desires, yet the other withholds. If both parties are happy going without then I see no reason why they cannot have a wonderful relationship. I would suggest a lack of intimacy is a bigger issue than a lack of rumpy-pumpy.
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    Daddy0 wrote:

Where do you think babies come from?
  • For me and my wife it is extremely important and has been for over a decade. I would lke to think that when we do start to slow down and more than a few days passes between sex that we do - I hope - actually have something else in common!

For the record I am 31 with 2 kids and have had the "snip".
  • With me and Mrs. H. there are a load of things that are important: sex, money, time, a working dishwasher ... All the things we don't have.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Wasn't there a French divorce case where the judge ruled wife was to blame because she never put out? French law says it is.

Edit: twas the other way around.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... f-sex.html
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Not that important, can always crack one off whilst watching Loose Women instead.
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    pastryboy wrote:
    Not that important, can always crack one off whilst watching Loose Women instead.
    Yep, do that sometimes myself. The manager in Dixons gets a bit annoyed but it's not like I can do it in John Lewis as I am banned.
  • Where do you think babies come from?

Didn't you watch "Knocked Up"?
    Sadie: Where do babies come from?
    Debbie: Where do you think they come from?
    Sadie: Well. I think a stork, he umm, he drops it down and then, and then, a hole goes in your body and there's blood everywhere, coming out of your head and then you push your belly button and then your butt falls off and then you hold your butt and you have to dig and you find the little baby.
    Debbie: That's exactly right.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    DDD, give her time. She'll get back into it, I'm sure.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Strokes for folks. Some people need it as a constant validating expression of love/lust, others go off it after a while. Meh. Why is that though? Nature or nurture? Misbehaving blokes usually site 'Human nature' as an excuse, but with the sheer amount of grot were exposed to from a young age, could it be pressure of society? [/pointless ramble]

I understand that some mother's become a bit self-conscious after they have been torn-up by a baby and don't want it anymore. They then usually throw their life and soul into raising baby and end up the size of a house. Thus, reducing the self-esteem further. In those cases, i'm not so sure i believe the 'we don't need sex, our relationship is much deeper than that' line.

Then as we get older, i think it's natural to stop lusting after it as much. By that time we 'should' have bore offspring if we're going to. As Doug Stanhope puts it: "Erectile Dysfunction? No, it's functioning perfectly by NOT being erect. You're old and gross - stop f***ing!"

In summary: I don't care.
  • DonDaddyD
    DDD, give her time. She'll get back into it, I'm sure.
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Food Chain number = 4