Garmin + Smartphone = tracking device

mtb-idle
mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
Have we done this yet?

Let's start with the uber cool advert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gyD-em6jp_0

...and then let Inner Ring explain far more eloquently than I can what it's all abaht
FCN = 4

Comments

• TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I've ordered the 510 and a trip to Girona!

This guy does full on reviews. It's fairly mixed, but I think I'll make good use of the new features, especially when away or touring.
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/01/garm ... eview.html
    exercise.png
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    Your Inner Ring link isn't right

Here you go

http://inrng.com/2013/01/garmins-genius/

That Garmin clip is co cool - I now want a Garmin
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Your Inner Ring link isn't right

Here you go

http://inrng.com/2013/01/garmins-genius/

That Garmin clip is co cool - I now want a Garmin
    This made me laugh:
    inrng wrote:
    This tracking feature could be essential for likes of Alex Rasmussen or Yoann Offredo to prevent WADA Whereabouts mistakes.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Want.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    thanks for correcting the link TWH.

It does look great doesn't it. More guff here
    FCN = 4
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    The tracking feature is neat, but if you have to use a smartphone to do it why not just stick endomondo on (which has had live tracking for years)?

I guess the Garmin system is a bit more joined up?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    BigMat wrote:
    The tracking feature is neat, but if you have to use a smartphone to do it why not just stick endomondo on (which has had live tracking for years)?

Because the Garmin system doesn't rely on Smartphone GPS so conserves battery. If I ran my iPhone GPs for a century ride, the battery would die before I finished.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    BigMat wrote:

Because the Garmin system doesn't rely on Smartphone GPS so conserves battery. If I ran my iPhone GPs for a century ride, the battery would die before I finished.

My HTC has sufficient for a century ride (had about 40% left when i got back, but then I did get the extended capacity battery for it, 1920 compared to the original 1680) and I use Endomondo which as stated above, has live tracking (and pep-talks)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    BigMat wrote:

You'll use Bluetooth to send/receive data, as opposed to use GPS to receive data - there may be no difference in battery life.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    urgh!

i remember having to use a bluetooth gps receiver with my old Nokia 6630 for TomTom

it seems a bit old skool
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Isn't the Garmin a much higher frequency than a Smartphone?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    urgh!

i remember having to use a bluetooth gps receiver with my old Nokia 6630 for TomTom

it seems a bit old skool

the Garmins are a bit old tech, the updates make sense, since smart phones are getting better and better at this, with better GPS chips and arguably much better software.

weatherproofing and battery life are (most) smart phones problems for use as a GPS cycling computer but they are getting better fast. Garmin has wisely realized this.