29er hardtail for the larger chap

Pugwash4x4
Pugwash4x4 Posts: 6
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi All

First post so please be nice :)

Looking to start biking again after a couple of years off- previous bike was a Marin muirwoods which I loved riding.

Have tried a couple of 29ers and really like their larger size.

BUT

Frankly I need a strong strong frame as I'm 6ft2 and a rather lady 150kg (I do run a couple if times per week, but cycling would give me a better choice in terms of low impact!).

have up to 800 quid and it will be used on a lot of rough and muddy tracks- but mostly fast stuff.

Weight of frame doesn't worry me, nor does name.

Strength of frame, reliability, value for money and excellent brakes are what I really want.

Currently leaning towards a specialized carve expert which I enjoyed the ride but not sure on the strength or bivalve fr money thing.....

Thoughts?

Comments

• mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Spesh rockhopper comp? Really good frame.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    6ft 2 is barely above average. 150kg is a little more - I wouldn't rule out 26ers, as you'll get stiffer wheels and forks and generally a better spec.

For £500 this is a very good buy:

http://www.biker-boarder.de/shopware/GT ... ntain-Bike

Some stout components but still decent weight.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I got back into mountain biking when I was more than 150kg and nothing broke on my Trek 4500. I think being heavier a 26" bike may flex less in the wheels and fork, but I nothing should break.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I'm 16 stone (100kg ish I think).
    Most important thing I have found is that I can't use QR front wheels, the flex is terrible. Even a 15mm axle really stiffens things up. If you want full suspension you will need to find a design which has a lower linkage rate so that you can get enough air in the shock. I had my Giant Trance X rear shock at near max pressure when I was 17 stone so avoid full sus Giants.
    Good wheels are worth having but they will only cost an extra £200
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    As above, the good side of 6 foot does not mean 29" wheels only.

I ride 26" wheeled MTBs and I am 6'4".

I would recommend a frame with a long TT though, and some decent rims. I like Mavic EX721, but would like to give the 823 a shot, according to the Mavic website this is the storingest rim.

Decent brakes are also a must; good performers but with good hear dissipation. Hope V2s work well for me.

From talking to bigger ridders over the years, I have found chains and cassetts are the first thing to go; worth considering!!!
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I'm 6'4" and 98kg. When I started riding again I was 115kg. I ride 26ers (as Levi suggests, mine are built carefully) but I can also tell you that the Inbred 29er XL is a good size for the taller/larger chap as I've pedalled a mates around quite a bit. Worth speaking to On One about how they'd spec it but the basic one is £800.

Not ridden Spec hardtails but rode the Camber 26 full sus when replacing my Yeti ASR and it was somewhat less than stiff so worth having a test ride I suspect!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would recommend a frame with a long TT though, and some decent rims. I like Mavic EX721, but would like to give the 823 a shot, according to the Mavic website this is the storingest rim.

A well built EX721 should be more than strong enough. Even with 16 stone on board my EX721's are fine for downhill racing. I have even used my XM719's for downhill. I think the EX823 is just the tubeless equivilent to the EX721.
    It's more about the build than the rim for strength.
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Pugwash4x4 wrote:
    Hi All

Looking to start biking again after a couple of years off- previous bike was a Marin muirwoods which I loved riding.

BUT

Frankly I need a strong strong frame as I'm 6ft2 and a rather lady 150kg (I do run a couple if times per week, but cycling would give me a better choice in terms of low impact!).

have up to 800 quid and it will be used on a lot of rough and muddy tracks- but mostly fast stuff.

Strength of frame, reliability, value for money and excellent brakes are what I really want.

Currently leaning towards a specialized carve expert which I enjoyed the ride but not sure on the strength or bivalve fr money thing.....

Thoughts?
    You're pretty brave to do a couple of runs a week at 23 stone, not the best thing though for the joints especially the knees, I know how mine feel at 16 stone!
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • poppit wrote:
    Pugwash4x4 wrote:
    Hi All

BUT

Thoughts?
    You're pretty brave to do a couple of runs a week at 23 stone, not the best thing though for the joints especially the knees, I know how mine feel at 16 stone!

Hence the return to cycling- used to be 4 or stone lighter and trained 4-5 times per week- now at 32 I don't have any joint problems but do need to start taking care.

Don't fancy buying a snazzy bike and breaking it 6 months later.

Thanks for all the advice guys, have got some excellent leads.
  • There can only be one Pugwash 4x4 who is "a bit lady"..... can't there....? ;)
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • Charles i have no idea who you are talking about :D:D (hope you're well- been ages since w last saw each other :D )

As you say- 4x4 all well and good, but it doesn't help with the fitness :D
  • Good to hear you are alive and well Jim. Bring your new steed down west and we'll go for a wheeze around the block together!
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.