Raidon remote lockout doesn't lock

captainwow15
captainwow15 Posts: 17
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

I've just bought a Hoodoo second hand and it's a beauty apart from the fact the remote lockout for the Raidon fork doesn't work. The cable moves through the plastic housing on the fork leg when I press the lock button but it doesn't lock the fork. Any idea why it doesn't work and how to fix it?

Cheers in advance,
Andy

Comments

• mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Either cable tension (loosen the grub screw, pull cable, tighten) or oil level inside the fork which is most likely a bike shop job to clean and refill the lowers.
  • Thanks for the reply.

I've taken the cap off and played about with the little pin in the leg and even when I manually press the pin fully the fork still doesn't lock. Is this something for the lbs to sort out or can I sort it at home?
    Andy
  • Went with my mate to get his hoodoo new from halfrods, and he had the same problem, luckily we checked it of before we left the car park!-it's just a matter of taking the top cap off and you'll see what the issue is - nice bike btw I was massively tempted but went with the kraken instead and after breaking two suntours I knew I should have gone hoodoo! :shock:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You realise the lockout doesn't actually lock the fork, it will still move?

Topping up the oil level certainly doesn't need a shop and is easy DIY.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    As above. The fork still will have a little movement but it would be much stiffer with lockout on. Make sure top cap is not screwed in to tight as that sometimes catches the locking bolt. There is also barrel adjuster on the trigger so it may need a little tweaking to get cable tension right.
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    If the fork is faulty and you still have warranty take it back to Halfords. My raidon lockout works fine and maybe two or three times failed to unlock due to dirt and water in the mechanism. Without more detailed description of your issue it will be difficult to guess what is going on.
  • I'm facing a similar issue with the lock system of my brand new SR Suntour Raidon XC RL R 27.5 (https://www.srsuntour.com/en/products/details/RAIDON-XC-RL-R-27-5-4100.html).
    The fork seems to work properly, but hen I try to lock it, it doesn't lock...nothing happens...tried several times but no progress done.

The cable is running properly, good tension, good travel.
    I removed the grey cup in the right "arm" (labeled "RSLO") and find the "pin" that activates the lock mechanism.

Pushed it manually, and hold it down, and nothing changed...always NOT locking...

Any suggestions or ideas I can check?

Thanks!
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Brand new bike or just the fork?
    If it's a new bike stop fiddling with it and take it back to the shop and ask them to sort it out for you.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • both are brand new, but bought in different stores...

and believe me, here in Argentina, there is no "customer support" after you buy something...

so I need to find a solution...
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

both are brand new, but bought in different stores...

and believe me, here in Argentina, there is no "customer support" after you buy something...

so I need to find a solution...

Ah youre in Argentina. So if you cant return something youre stuck with getting the shop to repair it, possibly for a fee, Getting someone else to fix it for a fee OR getting it working yourself.

If you have basic mechanical skill and the simple tools required you should be fine. Strip it out, replace the cable if need be and work it out. If you aren't comfortable then take it to a mechanic if there is one nearby. most lock outs are very straight forward once you take your time and work out whats going on.

• yes, i can try to do it myself...

i took the cap out...checked the cable lenght and travel, and both are ok...

Locked Position
    Unlocked position

the pin can be pressed and released OK
    Pressed
    Released

So, what next?
    Removing the cartridge?
    But if it is bad...there's anything I can do, aside from buying a new one?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    You could try removing the cover assembly and checking everything is in place.
    Looking at the exploded diagram HERE it doesn't look too complicated.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • yes, i saw the exploded diagram...i has asked a friend for the 27mm tool and then proceed...but the store who sold me the fork is evaluating giving me other one...so I won't proceed until having comfirmation

anyway, any advice is welcomed

thanks!
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

yes, i saw the exploded diagram...i has asked a friend for the 27mm tool and then proceed...but the store who sold me the fork is evaluating giving me other one...so I won't proceed until having comfirmation

anyway, any advice is welcomed

thanks!

get that replacement!

• seller is sending me a brand new 2020 raidon...
  • anyway, thanks for your support
  • by the way, the sellers won't refund me the $...he is sending me a new fork...but the refund might be a better option...I have just found an Epixon more or less the same cost...but will go on with the raidon...don't want to wait any more...