GPS Tracking Website?

Bustacapp
Bustacapp Posts: 971
edited January 2013 in Road general
Is there any tracking websites out there that would allow someone to view my location whenever I'm out on a ride? For example, my wife could see where I am and decide whether or not to put my dinner on.

Thanks.

Comments

• n4th4n007
    n4th4n007 Posts: 364
    Google Latitude works well. Its been up and running for years and works pretty well on all smart phones. Whoever wants to track who just need a Google account.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Or if you're an Apple house, friend finder works well (iPhone).
  • Bustacapp
    n4th4n007 wrote:
    Google Latitude works well. Its been up and running for years and works pretty well on all smart phones. Whoever wants to track who just need a Google account.

Thanks I have tried this in the past but it doesn't work too well on my windows phone, I was wondering if there might be another similar service out there.
  • Endomondo works really well. Have run it on windows phone and older nokia (symbian?).
    Set up an account and while you're out, the missus can log on and see where you've got to - plus it tracks all the usual stats, speed, climbs, descents etc.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Bustacapp wrote:
    I was wondering if there might be another similar service out there.

Could be a gap in the market you've spotted, emale Garmin :?:
  • OwenB
    OwenB Posts: 606
    Runtastic does that, you can track live on the home computer while the app runs on your phone
  • I'm not sure if I want my wife to track my rides, she might discover that every time I say that I have had a puncture is just an excuse to stay out on the bike longer than I said I would.
  • Viewranger is a free app that I use routinely. It has a 'buddy beacon' that records your location at regular intervals (every 2 mins in my case) and then uploads them when a 3G signal is available. It's always worked flawlessly for me.

http://www.viewranger.com/en-gb
  • Bustacapp
    Thanks all. Will check them out!
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Bustacapp wrote:

I think Garmin might be one step ahead of you there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... yD-em6jp_0
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    The new Garmins have a live tracking feature.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    mbthegreat wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Bustacapp wrote:

That is awesome!!!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • dodgy
    mbthegreat wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Bustacapp wrote:

Whoosh
  • Bustacapp

Next question is: Will this run alongside Strava?
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    I have the Friend Finder app, and when I'm out on a ride, I use my iPhone and Strava. I turn the 3G off to save the battery, which means that my wife can't find me, as the phone isn't sending a signal. Is this the case with the other apps mentioned?
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    y33stu wrote:
    I have the Friend Finder app, and when I'm out on a ride, I use my iPhone and Strava. I turn the 3G off to save the battery, which means that my wife can't find me, as the phone isn't sending a signal. Is this the case with the other apps mentioned?

Are you serious? If you turn of the data connection nothing on your phone will be able to communicate with the outside world. It's a bit like saying I've turned wifi off on my laptop, why won't Google work any more?
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    Mr Will wrote:
    y33stu wrote:

Are you serious? If you turn of the data connection nothing on your phone will be able to communicate with the outside world. It's a bit like saying I've turned wifi off on my laptop, why won't Google work any more?

Yes. I'm serious. As strava / other apps still work with no data connection to track my rides, I thought there may be another type of app that can pick up my GPS signal, and send this still without a data connection.
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Mr Will wrote:
    y33stu wrote:

Not so.

GPS will work with the installed app (Strava etc) and will keep a record of where you have been. It simply wont be able to overlay your route on Google maps until you reconnect to the network via wifi or 3G.

The benefit is your battery will last much longer and, depending on your contract or location, you don't incurr charges or eat up your data allowance.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    n4th4n007 wrote:

I turned that on on my Blackberry (by mistake) and the battery life plummeted. It took me ages and the purchase of a replacement battery before I realised what was causing the drain.

Normally a BB battery would last me 2 days with Latitude switched on it lasted less than 12 hours.
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    Navrig wrote:
    Mr Will wrote:
    y33stu wrote:

Not so.

GPS will work with the installed app (Strava etc) and will keep a record of where you have been. It simply wont be able to overlay your route on Google maps until you reconnect to the network via wifi or 3G.

The benefit is your battery will last much longer and, depending on your contract or location, you don't incurr charges or eat up your data allowance.

Yes so!

I'm not saying the apps won't track you, but until you have a data connection your phone will not be able to send that information (or indeed any information) to anyone or anything.

It's a bit like asking why the tracking doesn't work if you turn the GPS off :facepalm:
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra
  • dodgy wrote:

The FindmyiPhone works well as well - my wife logs into the iCoud website or iPad and sees where I and my phone are when out on longer jaunts.
  • Bustacapp wrote:

Next question is: Will this run alongside Strava?
    Sorry, missed this. Yes it will - on my S3 at least. I routinely run them both.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • dodgy
    dodgy wrote:

The FindmyiPhone works well as well - my wife logs into the iCoud website or iPad and sees where I and my phone are when out on longer jaunts.

For which you'd have to give your wife your Apple ID and password, and with just a few clicks of the wrong buttons could wipe your device remotely :twisted:
  • Bustacapp
    OK guys I've found the best thing ever.

With Glympse you simply press a button when going on a ride and people can view you in real time on your ride and they don't need to install any software. You can decide how long you can be viewed for and you can decide to either post your live ride to facebook or via text/email etc. They can view you on any device.

check it out:
    http://www.glympse.com/