Hope bottom bracket problem (GXP) - ongoing with photo!

2»

Comments

• Chain guides are 2.5mm so it shouldnt make a difference, unless the cranks or chainwheels are rubbing on the chain guide plate.
    It should be 2.5mm but is it :?:
    Yes. He has said he has measured it. And if they supplied them any thicker or thinner that would be a major recall since it wouldn't work on anyones setup.

Actually it may be within tolerance yet still be over 2.5mm :roll:
  • Assemble the whole thing outside of the frame using a measurement of 73mm between the cups and the 2.5mm spacer and see what the problem is.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    OP: how attached to the SRAM cranks are you? I'd seriously consider trading them in for a shimano, which can be made to work with the hope BB and a guide, quite easily.

Chain guides are 2.5mm so it shouldnt make a difference, unless the cranks or chainwheels are rubbing on the chain guide plate.

That was the problem I found.

At the end of the day, it seems the SRAM crank is just a couple of mm too short to make it all work in a 73mm shell.
  • I'm not particularly attached to any of the parts or the chain device, but the way I see it is it should work with the Hope BB, GXP conversion and my cranks but it doesn't, so something's wrong. I'd prefer to get to the bottom of it rather than try bits until something fits.
  • Been in LBS, they tried a SRAM BB and it fitted perfectly first time, it's as though the shell of the Hope one is 1mm too long. Oh well, everything is working now, will just have to bung the Hope one back in the old frame til I do something with that.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like the frame needs the threads cutting more.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • What it needs is the BB facing a little more to make the shell slightly smaller. Probably only needs a very slight amount off both sides.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    What it needs is the BB facing a little more to make the shell slightly smaller. Probably only needs a very slight amount off both sides.

About 0.5mm by the sound of it...
  • Think i'll just stick with the SRAM BB til it wears out. I'm sure I can live without the Stinger, but if not there's always something like the Bionicon guide
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    What it needs is the BB facing a little more to make the shell slightly smaller. Probably only needs a very slight amount off both sides.

which would just make the gap bigger. the main issue is that the cups will not thread in fully. threads need cutting in the frame.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:

which would just make the gap bigger. the main issue is that the cups will not thread in fully. threads need cutting in the frame.

Thats not the problem. I bet with no centre sleeve both cups will thread right the way into the frame.

The issue is it needs a 2.5mm spacer/Chainguard on the drive side but in fitting it its making the bottom bracket too wide and stopping the chainset from rotating. In facing the BB shell more it will allow the chainset not to lockup the whole lot when its bolted up.

• Thats not the problem. I bet with no centre sleeve both cups will thread right the way into the frame.

Correct. It's just the Hope BB that doesn't fit though, the SRAM one has gone in with no issues.
  • I have just fitted a Hope BB with the Truvativ shim kit and truvativ chainset into a 68mm bottom bracket for someone. The spacers used were two 2.5mm spacers on the drive side and one 2.5mm spacer on the none driveside. Everything fits fine and works exactly as it should, no binding or any other issues. I have also ran the same setup on another bike with two different X0 chainsets with no problem at all so its fine and the issue is with your bottom bracket shell been over 73mm.
  • sanchez89
    sanchez89 Posts: 567
    Ok, the cups thread in till they touch the shell without the inner sleeve. great. so you know that its not the frame that is the problem.

when you add the inner sleeve in thats when the one cup doesnt hit home, therefore your inner sleeve is the problem. if you have followed the setup correctly and put spacers where they should be (or not in your case) then what you need to do is either leave the sleeve out, or trim the thing down slightly.

are you putting the sleeve in the correct way?? i think SRAM inner sleeves are directional, (one end should face drive side i believe) if your hope one is the same try it, or swap the sleeve around and try it in both ways.

at the end of the day it sits in fine with no inner sleeve, put the cranks on and torque them correctly. if it works fine then you know for sure its the inner sleeve.

cant see why people are still saying its the frame's shell or that he's missing spacers!
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • sanchez89 wrote:
    cant see why people are still saying its the frame's shell or that he's missing spacers!

Because the frames shell is too wide, it should be 73mm and i bet all the tesco horse meat in the world its over that. Are you telling me that the ones I have fitted with the spacers fitted correctly giving the correct chainline are all wrong?

The bottom bracket should be fitted with a 2.5mm spacer on the driveside. Thats the way its designed to be fitted.