Warm (rather than necessarily waterproof) overshoes?

simon_masterson
simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
Any of you have any favourites?

I've managed - despite year round riding - to avoid these until now (no particular reason), but yesterday in particular my tootsies were feeling chilly, which made me think I ought to think about finally succumbing to some overshoes... Anything, preferably not too dear, that would be good for keeping the chill at bay? I use SPDs and Shimano MTB shoes, if that has any bearing on suggestions. Cheers.

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    most will keep you warm to be honest, all they are doing is keeping the wind off the top of your shoes

wear a pair of woolie boolie socks an you will be steaming
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • BBB Hardwear. Don't bother with anything else. Warm, dry and very tough so far.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    I have some PX ones, and a pair of thicker Pro Ventura. The latter are a bit warmer, but more of a faff to put on over my DHB M1.0 shoes. If you use road shoes (without the knobbly sole) then the Pros would fit better. Not sure how well the PXs will last either.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • I have a set of Altura Night vision overshoes that I wear over a pair of winter 'approach shoes' - they're waterproof, fleece-lined and pretty much impenetrable. Neoprene overshoes don't keep the damp out, and are not always as windproof as you'd think, especially when wet.
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    mudcow007 wrote:
    most will keep you warm to be honest, all they are doing is keeping the wind off the top of your shoes

This. Most definitely this.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'm an overshoe convert - love my Pro Endure H2Os (though they aren't made now) - light, warm tough and reasonably water resistant. Added to which they keep my shoes clean :D
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    mudcow007 wrote:

If only this were true :cry:
    BBB Hardwear. Don't bother with anything else. Warm, dry and very tough so far.

Actually, the Planet X are worth having even if you use BBBs. Planet X overshoes are silly cheap, surprisingly durable and make getting your shoes/boots off much easier. They aren't as warm or waterproof as BBB but whether that matters all depends on how cold it is.

I have BBB Ultraflex now in their second year. Not as Ultra as I'd have liked to be honest though the damage is on one shoe only and may have been triggered by an accident. Do keep the water out though.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Woolie Boolies and craft toe warmers are working for me at the moment, tested down to about 3 degrees with no noticable cold toes. Yet to be cold enough outside to try any colder.

Those Planet X ones are good too, don't use mine often as not cold enough to warrant the extra work of putting them on and taking them off.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Cheers chaps; some good suggestions here. Think I might give the PX ones a go to begin with...
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I have some neoprene ones for the horrible days and a pair of Sidi 'windtex' ones for the not so horrible days - The sidi ones are warm enough, but more importantly; they have better graphics.

4921940FDCBD7ECEC6C6956B1ABAFA39357900.jpg?aHR_cDovL1d1dy3wdXNoeXMuY07tLmF-L0-lZGlhL0NhdGFsb0cvcHJvZHVjdC7zL0kvc0lkaS-1LXRleC-vdmVyc0hvZS3qcGcJLzI0NjA1ODY-L_UyLzQ3MjE3NDBGRENCRDdFQ_VDNkM0OTU0QjFBQkFGQTM3MzU1OTAwLmpwZwAA
  • meanredspider
    gtvlusso wrote:
    but more importantly; they have better graphics.

4921940FDCBD7ECEC6C6956B1ABAFA39357900.jpg?aHR_cDovL1d1dy3wdXNoeXMuY07tLmF-L0-lZGlhL0NhdGFsb0cvcHJvZHVjdC7zL0kvc0lkaS-1LXRleC-vdmVyc0hvZS3qcGcJLzI0NjA1ODY-L_UyLzQ3MjE3NDBGRENCRDdFQ_VDNkM0OTU0QjFBQkFGQTM3MzU1OTAwLmpwZwAA

And you can wear cheap, no-name shoes under them an everybody thinks you've got Sidis :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • gtvlusso
    Or you could just have Sidi's......Luckily, my wife bought my sidi shoes for me.....with my credit card. They are about as waterproof as cardboard.....keep the wind off though.
  • meanredspider
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Or you could just have Sidi's.......

And everybody will think you've got cheap no-name.... :wink:

Sidis are good - my feet aren't quite the right shape for my Dragons though but they are comfortable enough.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Wollie Bollies, Sealskin Socks, cheap MTB shoes, all covered in Endura Neoprene MTB overshoes. Nice and toasty, even survived down to -13C on the commute a few winters ago, though could feel a small chill on the toes.... And with the Sealskins, even if the Neoprene overshoes do let in a little (though I found they dont) your still reasonably dry inside. Just make sure you wear leggings that go OVER the overshoes at the top to stop the water running down legs entering the top of socks.

I commuted down to -5C in shorts, and was only uncomfortable in freezing rain when it drizzled down leg into socks. Pair of DHB tights sorted that out, though still usually preferred shorts. Toughens you up it does.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    I got some Pro Tarmac NPU overshoes in the summer for £16. Which turned out to be a bargain.

They are robust, have a great zip and keep your feet warm. The only downside is that I have skinny ankles which means there is a little big around the top.

Cheapest online

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/.Pro- ... 119275.htm
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Or you could just have Sidi's.......

And everybody will think you've got cheap no-name.... :wink:

Lowers my FCN!

I have to use Sidi 'mega' fit shoes - I have fat feet.....:-(
  • meanredspider
    gtvlusso wrote:
    I have to use Sidi 'mega' fit shoes - I have fat feet.....:-(

I tried those because regular Sidis are a tad narrow. Two issues - the heel end was too wide when my toes fitted and I discovered that the insole was exactly the same size and shape as the standard shoe... :?
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Wonder how warm thesemight be?
    Rob - group buy?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Prendas.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327

+1 - although size down one if you don't want to look like Ali Baba!! :)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440

I just got these, badass.

Although I've discovered recently it's not the cold that makes my feet numb it's my shoes. I need to get some custom footbeds and see how they get on.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017