Does anyone know anything about bike?

Bobbytheparrot
Bobbytheparrot Posts: 2
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
Hi, I am a complete newbie to cycling, and am looking for a cheap road bike (I ride my mountain bike everywhere at the moment, but would like to change to a road bike).

I know it is not going to be amazing due to the price, but I cannot find any reviews of it anywhere, so thought I would see what other people think? Thanks for any input :)

http://www.bikesdirect365.com/products/Indigo-Vuelta-AR1%2C-Sports-Road-Bike%2C-16-Speed.html

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Go for a BTwin Triban 3 from Decathlon.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • That actually looks like a bargain. It is pictured without pedals and is not described as a 'gents bike' which are my usual signals for a cheap and nasty roadbike. it's got decent entry-level Shimano kit and it looks nice.

I've never heard of the brand though.
  • NapoleonD wrote:

That's another solid budget option, as is the Carrera Virtuoso from Halford's.
  • Hip Priest wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

The Virtuoso gets my recommendation. I've had mine for about 5 months now, and it is very good for the price.
  • Hip Priest wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

The Virtuoso gets my recommendation. I've had mine for about 5 months now, and it is very good for the price.

Yeah, I've had mine for over a year now. I've put about 2300 miles on it, including a hilly century. I'd recommend upgrading the tyres and brake blocks and getting some better bar tape, but it's a good solid bike for the money.

I only paid £240 for mine, after buying it nearly new off Ebay.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Hi, I am a complete newbie to cycling, and am looking for a cheap road bike (I ride my mountain bike everywhere at the moment, but would like to change to a road bike).

I know it is not going to be amazing due to the price, but I cannot find any reviews of it anywhere, so thought I would see what other people think? Thanks for any input :)

http://www.bikesdirect365.com/products/Indigo-Vuelta-AR1%2C-Sports-Road-Bike%2C-16-Speed.html

That one looks quite good to me for the price.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    rhext wrote:

Bear in mind that it has a double chainset (52/39) and you may be better with a compact (50/34) if you are new to cycling.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    smidsy wrote:
    rhext wrote:

Bear in mind that it has a double chainset (52/39) and you may be better with a compact (50/34) if you are new to cycling.

He won't miss what he hasn't tried.

Looks like a decent shout for the money. There can be some build quality surprises on cheap bikes though. If you have a mate who knows his/her way around a wheel stand it's worth getting them to check spoke tension for you. Also double check hubs for grease and check all the screws are tight.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Shimano 2300 is a good option at that price. My defy 4 has them at twice the price
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    I also recently jumped to road bikes after riding my Xc bike every where and commuting I bought a giant defy 4 2012 and love it I now have a specialized camber that has been sat there for 2 months :-/ I might have to say bye bye Xc

Go for a cheap one to start off on an if you don't like it at least ya didn't take a chunk out the bank
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • colsoop
    colsoop Posts: 217
    Is that quoted weight right ? 12kg's :shock:

I would look at the triban, similar spec but a couple of kilos lighter and a bit more newbie friendly gearing wise.