Wibbly wobbly....

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
Bugger - Getting that 'chain rubbing against metal' sound this morning. Have a look down at the chainset through the front mech - chainset appears to be warped, assuming that the mech is sitting straight. I adjust the front mech using the friction shifter to try and temper out the noise.....not quite managed it.

I check the chainset when I am off the bike, just to see if it is due to my loading on the chainset. Chainset appears to be true:

So, either:

Chainring bolts loose (don't appear to be)
Chainset loose on the BB axle (bolts appeared tight)

Anything else to check?

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    ive never known of the drive side, side of chain set to come loose...

sure your cage on the front mech hasnt been slightly bent or something like that?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Crank arm rubbing against the derailleur when in the largest chainring ??
    Had this happen before, and looking down whilst cycling it's not easy to see.
  • gtvlusso
    Crank arm rubbing against the derailleur when in the largest chainring ??
    Had this happen before, and looking down whilst cycling it's not easy to see.

Definitely the chainring warped causing the chain to rub against the mech.....strange that it is only when under load. Something loose somewhere!
  • gtvlusso wrote:
    So, either:

Anything else to check?

Excessive play in the BB bearings?

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso wrote:
    So, either:

Anything else to check?

PP

Brand new UN55 BB - Well, less than 2 months old, still feels tight......I am wondering if I have somehow warped the crank spider.....
  • mudcow007
    gtvlusso wrote:
    I am wondering if I have somehow warped the crank spider.....

you been using

Powa Awesome?!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    gtvlusso wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    So, either:

Anything else to check?

PP

Brand new UN55 BB - Well, less than 2 months old, still feels tight......I am wondering if I have somehow warped the crank spider.....
    If you'd warped it the wobble would still be there when not under load. If you've cracked it that could cause what you describe.
  • gtvlusso
    I could be like Godzuki to DDD's Godzilla....

tumblr_lnokhoHxsC1qf83cro1_500.jpg
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    gtvlusso wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    So, either:

Anything else to check?

PP

Derailleur? I thought you wuz fixed. Unless you've developed Hoy-like thighs over Christmas, it's extremely unlikely that you've bent the drive side crank/spider. By contrast, chainrings are quite flimsy especially if your chain line is a bit off, and the load is pulling slightly to one side. If your chainring bolts are a bit loose, this will allow the chain ring to move under load, which will increase the chances of it getting bent.

A more alarming thought is that the BB shell might be flexing excessively relative to the seat tube, which might mean that the frame is about to let go. :shock: Any sign of paint cracking around that area?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • gtvlusso
    My fixed days are a little varied due to an ongoing back injury and my left knee is playing up. Chainline *should* be perfect - BB matched to chainset and at 43.5mm...

Good point on the BB movement, Need to check that!
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    I fitted a new BB a couple of months ago, and over the Christmas hols I caught out by the same symptoms. At the time of the repair I wanted to avoid over-tightening the screw holding the chainring onto the BB, I kind of assumed that because I needed a crank extractor to get the damned thing off then the screw wasn't really going to be required to be uber tight. I also greased the threads liberally too.

I was wrong, it had gradually unthreaded over the weeks so each turn of the pedals caused a the chainring to appear warped as it started to wobble a little on each rotation as it gradually became loose from the BB.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My chainring does distort under load when using highest/lowest gears at the back (so the chain tension is pulling it sideways as well as backwards so to speak), clearence when not pedaling, slight rub when pedaling, only on the downstroke, no rub when the cranks are vertical.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    I had similar problems. Fixed it by changing to a better bottom bracket type.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • gtvlusso
    jds_1981 wrote:
    I had similar problems. Fixed it by changing to a better bottom bracket type.

I don't think there is a better JIS square taper type BB. Must admit that I have been considering a complete new chainset and hollowtech BB

**Vintage frame with 105SC and Dura Ace 7401 mix.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    davmaggs wrote:
    I fitted a new BB a couple of months ago, and over the Christmas hols I caught out by the same symptoms. At the time of the repair I wanted to avoid over-tightening the screw holding the chainring onto the BB, I kind of assumed that because I needed a crank extractor to get the damned thing off then the screw wasn't really going to be required to be uber tight. I also greased the threads liberally too.

I was wrong, it had gradually unthreaded over the weeks so each turn of the pedals caused a the chainring to appear warped as it started to wobble a little on each rotation as it gradually became loose from the BB.

Exact same thing happened to my cycling mate... came gradually unthreaded. - needed tightening up fully before it was sorted
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • gtvlusso
    davmaggs wrote:

Exact same thing happened to my cycling mate... came gradually unthreaded. - needed tightening up fully before it was sorted

Reet - Thanks dude - Chainring bolts.....Now need 8mm allen key!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    gtvlusso wrote:
    davmaggs wrote:

I think they mean the nut holding the crank onto the end of the BB axle, so I think you'll need a socket, rather than an allen key. Failed to tighten this properly myself many moons ago, and the result was the whole crank coming off mid-pedal stroke. It was the non-drive side, so no wobble to alert me. Luckily the whole thing stayed attached to my foot and I was able to bring the bike to a halt without incident.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • gtvlusso
    rjsterry wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    davmaggs wrote:

I think they mean the nut holding the crank onto the end of the BB axle, so I think you'll need a socket, rather than an allen key. Failed to tighten this properly myself many moons ago, and the result was the whole crank coming off mid-pedal stroke. It was the non-drive side, so no wobble to alert me. Luckily the whole thing stayed attached to my foot and I was able to bring the bike to a halt without incident.

yes - my typo - crank bolts. i think they are 10mm....allen fitting on my cranks. I tightened them to a fair amount of torque - like 10Nm. Will check them though.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    gtvlusso wrote:
    I don't think there is a better JIS square taper type BB. Must admit that I have been considering a complete new chainset and hollowtech BB

**Vintage frame with 105SC and Dura Ace 7401 mix.
    That's along the lines of what I did. My original allez had quite a bit of flex. I eventually swapped over the bb to another square taper which turned out to be worse. Went to hollowtech and everything worked a lot better.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Get a really big spanner on it and tighten the crank bolts up as much as you can. I had a similar problem, took it to the LBS, turned out I'd not tightened it up anything like enough. They put some real muscle into it and I've not had a problem since. In my case the crank bolt was working loose as I pedalled, but it's not obvious to a casual inspection because you don't put enough load on it. A big giveaway is if the chain is rubbing against the outside edge of the front mech as you push down on the drive-side pedal.
  • gtvlusso wrote:
    I tightened them to a fair amount of torque - like 10Nm. Will check them though.

We have a winner, I seem to recall when I installed mine it required nearer 45 Nm.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso wrote:
    I tightened them to a fair amount of torque - like 10Nm. Will check them though.

We have a winner, I seem to recall when I installed mine it required nearer 45 Nm.

45Nm is huge!! My last crankset (FSA) was only rated to 20Nm - I did 10Nm as it did not say anything in the instructions for the UN55 (and I have stripped BB crank threads many years ago), safe rather than strip the threads.

I will re-tighten though.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

45Nm is huge!! My last crankset (FSA) was only rated to 20Nm - I did 10Nm as it did not say anything in the instructions for the UN55 (and I have stripped BB crank threads many years ago), safe rather than strip the threads.

A quick google suggest about 34Nm upwards to 50Nm. I'd best dig out the 'big' torque wrench!

http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/ ... 0Specs.pdf

Thanks dude.
  • gtvlusso wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

A quick google suggest about 34Nm upwards to 50Nm. I'd best dig out the 'big' torque wrench!

http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/ ... 0Specs.pdf

Thanks dude.

Yes it's huge. For that very reason I ditched the Allen-bolts and used the supplied ones with a socket instead. I would suggest that at those torques, either your Allen keys or the bolt will round off nicely.

On the plus-side, the regular bolts won't need adjusting much once they're on.
  • Kieran_Burns
    My method is to tighten as much as is comfortable and then a 1/4 turn more. Quick and dirty I know but I've not stripped a thread yet and never had a crank come loose.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • My method is to tighten as much as is comfortable and then a 1/4 turn more. Quick and dirty I know but I've not stripped a thread yet and never had a crank come loose.

Torque wrenches are cool and make you feel like a proper bike-mechanic: Accept no substitute.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    rjsterry wrote:

For me the bottom bracket was secure and wasn't the problem, the chainring bolts were good too. On the Sirrus there isn't a nut to hold the chainring/crank on to the bottom bracket. Instead it is a threaded bolt (with a big washer) that you tighten with an Allan key. That pushes the crank onto the spindle and snugg into the BB.

In my case this screw had undone a little, and the crank was able to slip down the square spindle of the bottom bracket a few mm. This meant that as I applied power to the pedal it caused the chainring twist a little, and then straighten again on the up stroke.
  • gtvlusso
    And generally, you need 2 torque wrenches - 1 for small values on carbon frames and then one big fecker for bottom brackets! More tools is a good thing!

Hmm - crank bolts, rare to fing the old nut type....generally only the allen type bolts. Though there are some natty self extractor ones.
  • Kieran_Burns
    My method is to tighten as much as is comfortable and then a 1/4 turn more. Quick and dirty I know but I've not stripped a thread yet and never had a crank come loose.

Torque wrenches are cool and make you feel like a proper bike-mechanic: Accept no substitute.

Ha.

Real men used:

770px-Cotter_pin.JPG
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • mudcow007
    gtvlusso wrote:

Mr Lusso have you just openly admitted on this here forum that you have the arms of the snowman an arnt able to tighten more than 10Nm

*giggles*