New wheelset faulty? bad braking surface

bushu
bushu Posts: 711
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
My Charge Plug Freestyler replacement wheelset has arrived, bought the green flavoured Charge Dish wheelset to save compatibility issues - thinking they would be 1:1 the same product.

Not impressed, must be the newer model - anodised not painted,
rim breaking surface is also green (probably a non issue as not painted) but,
there is visible light through a gap on the rim joint on the braking surface o_0

Now i know i'm not pro but i know that's not healthy, would you return this item and request another or just give up on tarty coloured wheels?
I was expecting to maybe smooth the join off, that would've been fine..

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Pictures?

You mean you can see light through the weld/seam opposite the valve? Send it back!

Edit: And the pedant in me just knows you meant "braking surface".
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • sounds like it missed QC. I would return it.
    AKA Captain Blackbeard
    Going Top to Bottom - E2E for Everyman and Headway - Spet 2013
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Are you deliberately trying to make the pedants explode by randomly spelling brake correctly and incorrectly.

It hurts. :P :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    It sounds like it's broken ;-)
    Misguided Idealist
  • The rim is faulty and if the braking surface is green, chances are it is not machined and supposed to be used with disc brakes, although there are exceptions of rims with coloured machined brake surface... never seen a green one though
    left the forum March 2023
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Quite common with charge wheels, personally I wouldn't touch them!

I'd try some handbuilts from your lbs using velocity rims, particularly if you want green painted
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Braking surface on those wheels - they are for hipsters - you aren't supposed to have brakes - that's why the braking surface is anodised. It will look scruffy once the coating starts to wear (if using brakes).

Should have bought handbuilt CXP33 rimmed wheels if you want stopping power.
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    coloured machined brake surface... never seen a green one though

My track bike has green rims, the braking surface is machined before colouring... (Halo aerotracks)
    I'd never put a brake on them though!
  • memsley89 wrote:
    coloured machined brake surface... never seen a green one though

My track bike has green rims, the braking surface is machined before colouring... (Halo aerotracks)
    I'd never put a brake on them though!

Are the Aerotrack machined? I thought the machined version was called Aerorage... there is even a warning against using brakes on aerotrack... :roll:
    left the forum March 2023
  • bushu
    lmao fixed teh title :lol: right so send them back..
    Thanks memsley89 i was looking at the purple aerorage but settled for charge because they were green and pre-built :|
    Looks like order time, i think the warning on the aerotrack is just to prevent you from complaining when your brake surface looks shite because you've rubbed all the anodised coating off as long as its not actually painted and going to clog anything up we're good yeh?

that and the purple aerorage would also be too much purple for on the single speed, shame i can't source a pre-built green aerotrack wheelset
  • bushu
    Halo confirmed that i shouldn't use rim brakes on the Aerotrack :( looks like black aerorage's to order when i've returned this shoddy Charge Dish wheelset. Shame really only having green flavour in aerotrack's, can't fit discs nor do i want fixed on my commuter, really messing with my tartiness-mojo.