Rear gears problem

souljacker
souljacker Posts: 54
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Im having trouble with my rear gears on my giant anthem x4, it will change up through the gears from the outer cog to the inner cog fine but when i try to change back down it takes a couple of clicks of the shifter and then it will jump two cogs.

Ive tried tightening the cable and adjusting it at the shifter following the guide in the park workshop manual but nothing i do seems to work.

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    sound like either you either have too much cable tension, or your cables are all gunked up and not allowing it to move properly when you shift down. How old are your cables? Could be time for new inners and outers.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    When you left off one click and it doesn't shift, try pulling the exposed inner cable, if it's slack in places and not at the mch it's a cable issue.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Newfish
    Newfish Posts: 121
    Or your mech hanger is slightly bent, this happen to me the other day when I came off and had to bend it back by hand. It goes up fine, but drops down two in the middle section and the bottom three aren't right either.
    Cheers,
    Simon.