Hope brakes advice please

rbrstr
rbrstr Posts: 64
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok, so ive tried to sort this out reading through old posts and lots of gooogling but im getting nowhere and spending a fortune on adapters i didnt need!

I have a number 8 caliper that ive succesfully mounted to my magura IS mount front forks with a 203mm disc

the problem lies with the rear number 6 caliper. i cannot figure out how to mount it to my Giant anthem X which is post mount, i have every size disc known to man in the garage but cannot figure out which damn adapter to buy. the adapter adds 20mm yes? i have ample clearance to run a 203mm rear if need be

any help would be much appreciated

Comments

• cobba
    cobba Posts: 282
    A No.6 is a front 180mm / rear 160mm isn't it.

This adapter might work with a 180mm rotor.

There isn't much if any info around about putting IS brakes on PM frames so there's no guarantee that a fork adapter will work on a frame.

When you look at the measurements for a 160mm front post mount and a 160mm rear post mount on the following links you'll see that they are the same, if the post mount dimensions are the same you'd think that a front adapter would work on the rear.
    Front Post Mount Specifications
    Rear Post Mount Specifications
    * Rear post mounts can be either on the seat stay or on the chain stay, I haven't seen any specs for the chain stay mounts.

Maybe contact Hope and see what they have to say.
    If you do contact them, publish what they tell you, it'll be helpful for others in the future.

Here's a recent thread on the subject where the OP said the front adapter didn't work on the rear:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=12894411
    * Some photos in that thread would of been useful but the OP didn't bother taking any.
    * Maybe the reason it didn't work was because the adapter was on the wrong way around and upside down.
    * Maybe the OP had the post mounts on chainstay and clearance was the issue.

• rbrstr
    Thank you for the in-depth response, much appreciated.

the adapter linky you provided for CRC is the exact adapter i just ordered based on the info in that very thread, but it doesnt fit. its not so much the disc size/adapter orientation, more the off-set that is incorrect. the number 6 caliper has thicker mounts than the number 8 caliper does, strangely. i could fit the number 8 to the rear with a 225 disc but that would look daft. i think its the thicker mounts of the number 6 caliper thats throwing the offset off.

i have tried to contact hope with tech questions but no response

i will re-assemble it tonight and take some photo's to upload here, if it cant be done then fine, but im not giving up easily on this, ive sank 60 quid on the calipers, the same again on converting it all over from the defunct 6mm fittings and now this..Ggrr! Its been a learning experience.

Thanks!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sell the Hopes and by some decent...er different brakes instead? SLX?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cobba
    cobba Posts: 282
    I can see the problem now with the No.6 calliper, it's not a true IS mount calliper but a Boxxer mount calliper.

The Boxxer mount has the same 51mm bolt hole spacing as the IS mount but it is offset.

Hope No.6 callipers and rotor size on a Boxxer fork:
    M4 = 205mm
    C2 = 185mm
    Mini = 205mm

I think that a custom made adapter or a No.3 / No.5 half of a calliper with the IS mounts will be the only way you can use this brake.
  • rbrstr
    ah i see! i didnt even know there was such a thing, so this caliper is totally useless to me then. i tried it on my rockshox sid post mount forks on my other bike just out of interest and had the same off set issue so thought something like that might be occuring!

ebay then!

many thanks for the help :D