Nottingham to Derby - Advice

las
las Posts: 3
edited January 2013 in Commuting general
Hi all,

So I have just got a new job and will be working in Derby and as above I live in Nottingham. The journey takes about 35-45 in the car but costs a fair bit in fuel over the week (I don't have the most economical car).

I have been on Google Maps and tapped in the postcodes and it suggest using route 6. I have read about this else where, is it suitable for a road bike? I have an mtb at the moment but have some money set aside with plans to purchase a triban 3. Google did shock me a bit though when it came back with a time of 1 hour 45 mins from Notts to Derby, this seemed a bit long as I'd read previously around 1 hour 15 mins?

Does any body do this route or have advice?

cheers

Comments

• las
    las Posts: 3
    I live in Basford, Nottingham and will be travelling to Mansfield Road, Derby so near the A52/City Centre. Thanks for your input, I will try and give it a go this weekend. I'm guessing there must be a way to sync a route created on Google Maps to their app... We shall see!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    My cycling mate used to live near Basford and cycled to The Wyvern (just off the A52)

I'll check with him which route he took and let you know

Oh and get a CX bike.... you know it makes sense :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    I commute from outside Derby to south of Nottingham. I take Nottingham Road through Borrowash, Risley, Sandiacre, Stapleford into Nottingham where it becomes the A52.

I'm not aware of the best cycle routes from Basford but you could head out towards Stapleford on the A6002 then follow Station Road/Derby Road.

Once you get to Borrowash you have two choices - continue straight on the A6005 towards Spondon or hop on the canal path near Elvaston. I'm not familiar with either route all the way into Derby though.
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    I'm in Beeston and travel to Raynesway, Derby. :D

Route 1 (flat) - Beeston-Long Eaton-Breaston-Draycott-Borrowash-Spondon-Raynesway. From there for city centre you can go up the river completely off-road.

Route 2 (slightly hillier) Beeston-Bramcote-Stapleford-Sandiacre-Borrowash----etc.

From Basford Route 2 is going to be much more direct for you - go Wollaton Road/Trowell road then down Coventry Lane to Bramcote Island (or cut off the corner into Stapleford through Hickings Lane if you like).

It takes me 40-50 minutes usually depending on motivation/weather/how many people I can chase.
  • magibob
    magibob Posts: 203
    Just seen this.

Seems to give pretty good Idea of what it's like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28UIeRDhdMk

Can't give you any advice since it's been 25 years since I've lived in that area and all the cycle lanes etc will have changed. (Used to play Sunday league football on West Park. :D )

Cheers

Andy
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    That shows some cycle track at the beginning (City centre down the river then under Raynesway to Borrowash - this can get quite rough after Raynesway (or at least the last time I rode it, it was rough and gravelly)).

Then they miss out a massive amount in the middle mostly on road, and show you University Boulevard in Nottingham.

It's not a good representation of the overall route - there is much more road than this shows. It also mostly follows my route 1 which is out of the OP's way.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    YIMan wrote:
    That shows some cycle track at the beginning (City centre down the river then under Raynesway to Borrowash - this can get quite rough after Raynesway (or at least the last time I rode it, it was rough and gravelly)).

Then they miss out a massive amount in the middle mostly on road, and show you University Boulevard in Nottingham.

It's not a good representation of the overall route - there is much more road than this shows. It also mostly follows my route 1 which is out of the OP's way.

Yup, that stretch running along Alvaston park is very rough, not something I'd recommend on 23c tyres everyday. Plus the bit under the Raynesway has a habit of flooding.

To be fair - along the A6005 to Borrowash and down that route is fine on a CX / Tourer with 28c, some light trail bits and a quiet run straight in to the middle of Derby
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter