Advice - Which Bike?

gaz79
gaz79 Posts: 28
edited January 2013 in Commuting general
Hi all,
Sadly I recently had my Carrera Subway Ltd stolen and I'm now looking for some advice with regards to a replacement bike. Fortunately my bike was insured and I've now got a voucher for £350 to spend on a replacement. My options are limited as I can't really increase my budget and I have to spend the voucher in Halfords...

My commute entails a 15 mile round trip, 4-5 days a week, predominantly on roads and cycle paths. I was very happy with my Subway which had served me well for over 2 years and therefore i'm tempted to buy the most recent version. Or should I use this as an opportunity to try something different? Would I be better off trying one of the Road bikes that are available within this budget at the moment? I like the look of the Gryphon but they only appear to have it in a large frame which isn't suitable as I'm only 5'7''.
Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Gaz.

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Can't be much else at Halfords in that price bracket?

Is your route flat, perhaps you'd enjoy and get better value from a single speed but again, don't know the Halfords range.
  • pnev
    pnev Posts: 236
    Put £70 towards it and get the boardman hybrid race?

Edit- sorry missed the budget bit, but it would really be worth the xtra £70
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    The Carrera Subway is still a really good buy at the price. I'd say go for one of those again (at about £270) and spend the rest on bits. Make sure you get a decent (i.e. not a cable) lock.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My commuter is based on a Gryphon frame (photo in sig), it makes a good commuter and is certainly much quicker than a Subway, with some fettling mine is sub 10Kg and I can keep with most commuting road bikes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gaz79
    gaz79 Posts: 28
    I am very tempted by the Boardman Hybrid but money is tight and not sure I can stretch to it. Looks like i'll probably go for another Subway and spend the rest on a lock etc. Considered a single speed and a road bike but I like the versatility that the Subway offers.