Allez v Secteur: Newbie

Allez!Allez!
Allez!Allez! Posts: 3
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
Since last September have been going for weekend rides on an old secondhand trek hybrid. The cycling bug has really bitten me and so looking to move up to a proper road bike. Ultimately would like to ride in the tour of flanders (amateurs of course!) and gran fondos (especially in the alps etc).

Narrowed it down to the base model Specialized Allez or Secteur. Having hit my early 40s am put off by the Secteur on the grounds that it seems to be aimed precisely at people like me - yep, I'm in denial :wink: so have the following questions:

- is the allez suitable for the style of riding I'm looking to do (whizz around Richmond Park on the weekend, eventually tour de flanders, gran fondos etc);

- the 2013 Allez has alloy forks rather than carbon, does this alter the ride that dramatically;

- would an Allez with the GOBL GOBL-R seatpost (specialized's fancy new carbon seatpost) compensate for the lack of carbon forks?

I'm on a tight budget £1,000 total for all gear, so reckon max about £550-650 on the bike although in the long run expect to be able to update components etc.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Comments

• MattyyP
    MattyyP Posts: 142
    I ride a Secteur Sport 2011, and honestly can't complain. Handling is very responsive, pretty comfortable whilst remaining racey enough for me to feel alive whilst riding it! Oh yeah, and i'm 20! Buy the one you are more comfortable on! :)

Add on -

But the Secteur is so much better looking than the Allez, just look at the sloping top tube! :lol:
    Specialized Secteur Sport 2011
    B'Twin Rockrider 8 XC
    B'Twin Rockrider 9.1
  • FWIW, I'm new to road cycling too (as of October '12). I'm just turned 50. When I was choosing a bike, I test rode several, including an Allez Elite and a Secteur. Both were nice, I preferred the Allez, and I eventually ended up with a Giant.

No substitute for test riding them yourself - good luck.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Markjaspi
    Markjaspi Posts: 729
    I went down the Allez Sport 2013 route around 6 months ago and never looked back. I've slow upgraded the tyres, inner tubes, saddle, seatpost to carbon wrapped, wheels to mavic aksiums, and group set to full 105 slowly when funds allowed. It's now much lighter than when it started and spec'd inline with more expensive bikes.

I have no probs keeping up with friends and my brother in law on carbon framed bikes, its really grown with me, I'm sure you would love it (I personally prefer its looks over the Secteur).

I would suggest you try out both and see which fits best and has the best aesthetics for you.
    Cipollini Bond
    Pinarello GAN
  • I bought the 2012 Secteur Elite last May, its said to have a relaxed geometry. I’m 6ft 3 and had a bad motorcycle accident 6 years ago breaking 22 bones, I’ve ridden 2500 miles since July and have had no issues with the bike or the riding position. I was sceptical after I bought the bike thinking id got it wrong, however I soon got used to the fact that no one else gives a stuff what you ride or what you wear or the fact that your 40 plus. Its a great bike with good spec and the gearing gets me up any hill. The only up grade to date is new bar tape.
    Bianchi infinito 2012
    Specialized Secteur
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Test ride them both and see what you like.
  • I bet all this isnt helping. Best ride them both and get what fits best.
    Bianchi infinito 2012
    Specialized Secteur
  • AlahDamIt wrote:
    no one else gives a stuff what you ride or what you wear or the fact that your 40 plus.
    Who cares about the real world goddammit?

This is a forum!
  • AlahDamIt wrote:
    no one else gives a stuff what you ride or what you wear or the fact that your 40 plus.

This is a forum!

And you point is
    Bianchi infinito 2012
    Specialized Secteur
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    In the real world,it is what it is and thats that.On here (the forum)then bike snobbery,willy waving,exagerated performance boast and some general bad attitudes are the norm.Once you suss out the proper helpful people then its a nice place to be and just ignore the d1cks.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • AlahDamIt wrote:
    AlahDamIt wrote:

This is a forum!

And your point is
    escaping you.
  • Neither both maybe nice bikes but for the money there is better to be had, the 2013 Allez is very basic.
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    Your forum name will look pretty stupid if you buy a Secteur...

(Test ride them both, plus another manufacturer or two if you can)
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra
  • ...I'm on a tight budget £1,000 total for all gear...
    Depends what "all gear" equates to of course, if just shoes and pedals, lights, bottles cages, helmet etc then potentially your £1000.00 budget gets you the next level of bikes up. I would get the best equipped bike you can and perhaps make do as much as possible with the additions, for example technical clothing you may already have from other sports can be used as layers for now, by getting the best value bike you can get now may save you money in the mid to long term.

In Specialized the next level up essentially means Shimano Sora Equiped bikes, the 2013 version of these components is quite an upgrade from their previous model and in my opinion is worth considering, the Allez Sport @ £725.00 will also have carbon forks, some higher spec' wheels at a later date and you would have a lovely bike that you would then upgrade out of desire more than necessity and perfectly good enough when you progress to "tour de flanders, gran fondos etc". As for 'Secteur' versus 'Allez' the Sora model of the former, the 'Sport triple' @ £850.00 would mean that your £1000.00 budget for the bike and "all gear" may be a stretch to far. If you think it can be done then try both, look closely at the specification interms of bike fit, the Secteur has a slightly more relaxed set up, triple versus double transmission is another, the gear ratios differences are quite subtle and will often come down to personal preference, as apposed ability, especially on a bike that may be used for a varied role, for example some of my best ever rides have been at 5mph, where I wanted a lower gear to take in a view, not needed a lower gear out of ability, so think what it is you want out of the bike and be honest with yourself.

Note above I mentioned upgrading at a later date would be more down to "desire more than necessity"; if you have caught the cycling bug don't underestimate the power of that 'desire'; you'll soon realise that you will always be one bike away from what you want.....sorry I mean neeeeeeeeed neeeeeeeeeeeeeeed; in the same way a child just so neeeeeeeds chocolate :lol:
  • nmt
    nmt Posts: 88
    I was in the same predicament back in August Allez sport v Secteur sport went into my local specialized concept store put down a 10% deposit and got the ballance on interest free credit BUT as i was in shop i started fancying the entry level Roubaix @ £1200 on inspecting the components on the different range of bike i though bugger it and ended up ordering a Roubaix elite :o and i must say i love it it's a very comfortable ride, Decided on the more relaxed geometry due to an old motorcycle injury and the Roubaix was the same per month over 2 year as the secteur was over 12 month.
  • nmt wrote:
    ... i started fancying the entry level Roubaix @ £1200....
    That they now use Shimano Sora on a frame set of this level shows you just how much it has improved, the 2012 Roubaix started @ £1599.99 with Shimano Tiagra, they would not have used the Sora back then.

Paul
  • buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    If you've already done your list of possible alternatives from Giant, Cannondale, Trek, Felt, Scott, Lapierre to name but few and it truly comes down to the Allez or Secteur then you need to try before you buy. Personally I'd go for the Allez. I was in the same position a year ago and was going down the Lapierre route but the Allez was a close second. (ended up with a Bianchi cos my wife allowed me to spend an extra £100).

I'd stretch your bike budget a bit towards £750. You should easily pick up your shoes, pedals, jersey, shorts etc for the remaining £250 with some judicious buying in the sales
    Someone's just passed me again
  • Thanks all - some valuable advice here. Decided to up the budget a bit (around the 700 mark) and having re-examined the field, include Cannondale's CAAD offering!
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    I bought a hardly used second hand Allez with Tiagra group set for £500. Since then I've upgraded the wheels.

As my first adult bike, I love it. I have fond memories of our summer nights together.

Does everything I expect, it feels sporty to me and makes me want to cycle faster everytime I'm out. I can't fault it. Ok it maybe aluminium but I've never thought about it on a ride. Is the ££££'s just for a Specialized Tarmac carbon frame really worth it in terms of £'s per grin factor?
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • ben@31 wrote:
    I bought a hardly used second hand Allez with Tiagra group set for £500. Since then I've upgraded the wheels.

As my first adult bike, I love it. I have fond memories of our summer nights together.

Does everything I expect, it feels sporty to me and makes me want to cycle faster everytime I'm out. I can't fault it. Ok it maybe aluminium but I've never thought about it on a ride. Is the ££££'s just for a Specialized Tarmac carbon frame really worth it in terms of £'s per grin factor?
    Interms of the riding experienced if you bought an upmarket version of the same thing then normally it's just the same boxes ticked, but with bigger ticks, so in your case the same smile, just perhaps a bit bigger :lol: Regarding the Specialized range, the Secteur-Allez differences become more pronounced as they evolve to Roubaix-Tarmac, so if you are not chasing race bike margins then at least potentially consider the Roubaix.

Paul