Felt AR-5 2012 model

Gazspurs
Gazspurs Posts: 122
edited January 2013 in Road general
Hi guys,

Bit of advice needed if possible please....

A few weeks back I posted with regards to a Focus ex-demo down from 5k to 3k my local bike shop, decided against it in the end as it was just slightly over the budget.

The guy in the shop must know he has me though as he phoned this evening with a Felt AR-5 2012 model, upgraded wheels all the trimmings, wants 2.6 for it, I offered 2, reckon we can meet at 2.2 (what I'll pay)

Does anyone own a felt or friends that have one, all reviews are second to none & the bike looks a dream.

Also, I currently ride a 56 frame but the one he is offering is a 58, he will fit me up (for free) before I take to make sure all ok, is the move up in frame size going to make to much of a difference?

This looks a great chance to move up to carbon at a very good price, any info on the above would, as always, be appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Above everything else, make sure the upgraded wheels are deep-section. It looks rubbish without.

You can probably fit a 58. Just see if it fits when you go to try it out.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Gazspurs
    Cheers Declan, the upgraded wheels are

WHEELSET

VISION T42 2012 WHEELSET
  • declan1
    edited January 2013
    Gazspurs wrote:
    Cheers Declan, the upgraded wheels are

WHEELSET

VISION T42 2012 WHEELSET

Very nice. I'd go for it if I were you (obviously if it fits) :D

TIP - don't sound really excited about it when you go. Keep moaning about the size or something to make him think you don't really want it and lower the price ;)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• Gazspurs
    haha!! You've played before!

Well its the big 30 this year (although not till October) so I can see this being my little present to myself although very early!

I currently ride a Ribble Sportive 7046 with a few upgrades, reckon I'll get £700 for it so that will offset some of the damage
  • Careca
    Careca Posts: 95
    A Felt ARS? Shame they don't make an e model ;)
  • Camus
    Camus Posts: 189
    As declan1 says, play that bike shop mark, indifference and perhaps a mention of other bikes you've seen online at good prices will help sweeten the deal for you.

It's a nice bike but I'd be asking myself is it really the one since you were looking at a Focus, ok both begin with F but don't let yourself be swayed into buying something you aren't 100% on, it's this guy's job to make it seem like certain bikes will never be seen or ridden again at such a price unless you buy now, but of course in reality there's always something else around the corner.
  • Gazspurs
    Haha the only negative from the bike is the fact you can call it AR5(E)

In fairness he has phoned me with a few different models & I've said not for me etc, the Focus was an ex-demo team bike from 5 to 3, don't know why but just couldn't justify going over the 3k barrier.

2.2/2.4 for this does look an attractive price, looking at the wheels that's been upgraded, there 650 alone. Its matte finished, everything I've been looking for really just gonna have to dive into the savings which isn't ideal but I'll have full carbon then & wont need to change for a good few years.

Phoned & spoke this morning, going to see tomorrow at 10:30, 58 frame shouldn't be a problem but I'll certainly go with stone face & dark shades in preparation! (even though I'm 99% sure I want it)

Just hope I can get a decent price for my current bike & the Mrs is actually as dump as she appears! :shock:
  • Careca
    Careca Posts: 95
    I'm sure it's an excellent bike and great for the price so long as it fits.

My humble opinion is that just comes to personal preference about which bike is best. Some may love a Bianchi or Trek at a similar price point but it's what you like, want and fall in love with, as you'll be riding it.

Also, much better to buy from LBS than from online. I've always found LBS will look after you once you've bought bike, and so happy to help out for free (where they may charge others). So hopefully they'll look after you once they've flogged it.
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    I have 2 felts one being the AR4 and I can't fault either of them, I would certainly buy another....and yes the AR does look bit naff without deep rims on it :shock:
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • Gazspurs
    Thanks for all your help guys!

Deposit put down this morning & collecting next Thursday!

Paid 2.3 in the end which I'm very happy with, sat on the 58 frame & actually felt more comfortable than my 56.

I got included a free fitting & a couple of cages & the guys in the shop were spot on! Already invited me out on there club runs.

Really happy with the choice, deal, shop I've bought it from & to now be a paid up member of a carbon bike
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Congrats. I ride an F series myself, but a quite a few of the fast guys in my club have ARs and they love them. Post some pics up when you get the chance!
  • declan1
    Gazspurs wrote:
    Thanks for all your help guys!

Deposit put down this morning & collecting next Thursday!

Paid 2.3 in the end which I'm very happy with, sat on the 58 frame & actually felt more comfortable than my 56.

I got included a free fitting & a couple of cages & the guys in the shop were spot on! Already invited me out on there club runs.

Really happy with the choice, deal, shop I've bought it from & to now be a paid up member of a carbon bike

Yay! Glad you got it :D

TIP - Post pictures of it ASAP.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred