Shock removal

angry_bird
angry_bird Posts: 3,786
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Just got the new el guapo frame and the shock is mounted a stupid way up stopping the levers operating properly so needs flipping over so they're pointing down not up.

Before I start taking tools to the brand new frame just thought I'd check it is simple as letting the air out, removing the mounting bolt at the bottom of the shaft, removing the mount from the top of the can, flipping it over then bolting it back up.

Cheers

Comments

• Yup - I did just that on my Kona when I had it ....just cycle the shock through entire length of travel prior to pressurising it just to make sure nothing fouls on anything. You can run rear shocks piston down, piston up horizontal left / right - really does not matter. Can look a bit odd piston pointing up though if I am honest!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes, just watch out for any spacers and washers so they go back the same way!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No need to let the air out.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • angry_bird
    Cool, so having undone the bottom mounting bolt at the end of the shaft there's absolutely no movement there... need any special tools to go any further?
  • No need to let air out but it helps if you cycle shock to make sure it does not foul during full travel. May look ok but when shock rotates (depending on design of linkage) the air can can hit the frame.

What is it you are trying to do? I assume you are wanting to flip the shock so you are swapping the mounting hardware over? The tops hats are usually press fitted into the shock ...you will need a vice or mole grips to grab, twist and pull the hats out. Have a look at this :

http://www.tftunedshox.com/info/mount_k ... hings.aspx
  • Angry Bird wrote:
    Cool, so having undone the bottom mounting bolt at the end of the shaft there's absolutely no movement there... need any special tools to go any further?

Have you removed the bolt?

Undo and remove the top and bottom shock bolts and remove. The shock should then slide out.
  • angry_bird
    Angry Bird wrote:

Have you removed the bolt?

Undo and remove the top and bottom shock bolts and remove. The shock should then slide out.

Yep, the top slides out, bottom won't budge.
  • hmmmm.. Pics?
  • angry_bird
    Yeah they'd be useful wouldn't they, I'm heading out now but I'll sort them in the morning. Cheers so far.
  • angry_bird
    OK so this is the issue, the blue dial gets caught on the frame

8365195795_6fe1a444ee_z.jpg

So I'm wanting to turn it upside down so it rotates underneath and can't get caught.

Undone the bolt at the end of the shaft and removed it but the shock is not not budging, I imagine it's to do with them there black bits, but being useless with FS I'm clueless as to what to do/what I need, now I remember why I prefer HTs, they're so much easier :lol:

Anyway, the problem area, from top first, then from the bottom
    8365196173_27184aaefa_z.jpg
    8366267232_7d1972b19e_z.jpg
  • cooldad
    I am open to correction, but all I can suggest is pull harder.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • angry_bird
    Hmm it's occured to me but I'm not sure how much force I want to try putting through it, don't fancy damaging it, I suspect it'd take a fair bit to do so. Thought it best to enquire before going in heavy handed.
  • angry_bird
    The other thing I'm slightly concerned about is getting it back in and aligned if it takes a considerable amount of force to get it out in the first place...
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Yeah just pull it harder, its just a tight fit. There should be washers between the frame and shock eyelet.
  • angry_bird
    Yeah just pull it harder, its just a tight fit. There should be washers between the frame and shock eyelet.

Cool, will get all Popeye on it in the morning then can't be fucked right now, it's most definitely bed time.
  • Can you not just rotate the can while leaving the piston in situ?
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    It sounds like it just needs a bit more "persuading" to pop out.
    Can you not just rotate the can while leaving the piston in situ?

or, this ^

you will need to let the air out first
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Loosen the bolts holding one rocker on to reduce the clamping on the shock that end - depending on design this can help - or not!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Yep you just need to properly yank it I would have thought - as already said it should be a snug fit. If you can break it by pulling it then kudos, you're hard.
  • angry_bird
    Cheers for the help guys, still no sign of it budging at all no matter how hard I try :roll: Guess I could just twist the body round but would be nice to be able to get it out, no doubt I'll need to do so in the future.
    Loosen the bolts holding one rocker on to reduce the clamping on the shock that end - depending on design this can help - or not!

Unfortunately doesn't seem to work with this design.

Will give on-one a bell in a bit, let everyone get back from lunch and see if I can talk to one of their mechanics
  • cooldad
    Hammer.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Rubber mallet...
  • block of wood
  • angry_bird
    The dog stole my mallet and hid it in the garden before christmas :lol:

Spoke to Neil at On-One and he said they are a stupidly tight fit. Up there in the workshop they loosen off both sides at the top of the rocker and do a lot of wiggling and grunting and eventually it'll come out but it'll still be quite tight and take a lot of work.

For now I've just rotated the top of the shock, guess I'll face it again when it comes to servicing it but for now I think the word is "meh".

Cheers everyone