Suntour Raidon X1 RL with a 203 mm?

iRaves
iRaves Posts: 50
edited January 2013 in MTB general
Hi,

i have just purchased some shim Deore hydro's to replace the stock Tektro Comps (which are gash and leaky)

they accept up to 203 if i am right.

on suntours spec sheet it says they accept up to 185...

but others say they have fitted 203 to suntour XCM's for some reason, and they work ok.

what dangers are there of fitting a disc that is too large for the manufacturers spec?

also, there spec states that my forks are 100, 120 or 140 mm adaptable

is that just a matter of taking them apart and re-arranging the spacer?

if so how hard is it to perform?

thanks for looking and thanks in advance for any replies

:lol:

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    203's are overkill unless he is going gnarrly DH stuff, which I doubt with the forks.
    Stick to the manufacturers specs - could snap in half, probably won't.
    Are your talking about Raidons or XCM's?
    And maybe - have you read the tech docs for the forks?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Stick with the 180mm, the 203mm is outside the manufacturers warranty andcould snap the brake mounts off your fork.

If the fork came on a bike then there is no way of telling if they are actually adjustable, other than to open them up and look for spacers. Be wary of lengthening them though as it can wreck the handling and knacker your frame
  • iRaves
    Cheers guys

i had the XCM as stock and the Post mounts snapped off during normal breaking with 160's on!!

think they must of took a knock somewhere along the line that weakened them

i now have a set of RAIDON's (was after some rock shocks but got offered these for £40 from a friend so couldnt ignore)

think i will stick to the 180's that i have on then :(

wanted a giant blue floating dinner plate... lol

i am having no problem with them being 100, i am actually very impressed with them tbh, but if they go to 120, or 140 then i did want to explore that option.

not sure about opening them up, need to buy a pump then dont i? seems liek a lot of work, wouldnt even know what to pump them up to lol

thanks for the replies guys i appreciate the effort
  • cooldad
    You need a pump anyway to set them up for your weight.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • iRaves
    Guessing there will be a video tutorial saomewhere for that...

right off to chainreaction then... god they take so much of my cash :(
  • cooldad
    Adjust pressure until you have about 25% sag when in the 'attack' position - standing on the pedals, and fine tune from there.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • iRaves
    cooldad wrote:
    Adjust pressure until you have about 25% sag when in the 'attack' position - standing on the pedals, and fine tune from there.

cheers man

thanks for that will get one bought and have a crack
  • pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • iRaves
    Woodmonkey wrote:

wow...

+1 to you

thanks
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    this will be a lot cheaper than CRC.

You will need more than just a pump to adjust the travel (as the link above shows). That is also on the Axon/Epicon models, I've yet to hear or see anyone actually do it to the Raidon - just a lot of hearsay. But as said, only way to find out is by opening them up.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    I have raidon s on my bike in 120mm variety and they came with 180mm discs which ive now swapped to 203mm floating rotors as they re pretty and where a present !!
    I havent had any problems and would have thought going up a size would be within manufacturing tolerances most things in mtb are overengineered.
    I dont find 203 s too much i think it depends on how much weight your trying to slow down, im 14 st ish and my bikes not light , if your a skinny 10st with a light bike then ye prob would be overkill.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I don't agree with 203mm discs being overkill, it just depends on how you want your brakes to perform.

I've had a 203mm disc on a fork that only warrantied 180mm and it worked fine
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You're in a small minority then, you want be when you die though I suppose.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    You're in a small minority then, you want be when you die though I suppose.

step away from the bong...........
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011