Advice on things to do in oz.....

2»

Comments

• BigStu2
    BigStu2 Posts: 794
    Ha little blue bags, love it. Blue bottles are dangerous in the water but great fun once dried out on the beach, I spent years popping them as a kid at Narooma. Just keep a bottle of vinegar handy to smother yourself in once those tentacles wrap around you. There are lots of cute and furry things in Aus, see accompanying video- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDMkVq1jRGU
    Dont discount Canberra, they have rebuilt a massive trail network after the fires of 03 destroyed all the great trails we had back then, I buggered off to Sweden just after but had the chance to ride Sparrows (on the road to the coast) a few years ago and it rocks, kowen just across the road is huge and some of the trails I built there in 2001 are still in use today (via the sutton road entrance), theres also Majura and Stromlo which hosted the worlds a few years ago. See CORC's website for all mtb activities over there.
    Be carefull when riding on footpaths-cyclepaths in the area and then crossing onto grass as there is are vicious 3 pronged thorns by the thousands that instantly remove all air from your tyres. I'm sure they weren't there before I moved but the drought seems to have favoured them over clover and pansies.
    Queensland is awesome but seems to be getting battered by storms every year, if your in the building trade you could pick up work there.
    Ohh and those thorns, their 4 times bigger in Alice springs and covered in the softest of cotten fluff which penetrate your new rubber thongs with ease, Good luck.
    .........all
    ...at........work
    fun..................&
    ..no.............no
    .....is......play
  • Taipans tend to stay deep in outback and in the cracks of dried mud etc and rarely come up iirc. There are venomous and non venomous browns but dont go near one to be on safe side! Red on black venom lack, red on yellow kill a fellow, which is for coral snake and some others. Though with spiders it doesnt work as the Black Widow IS red on black. Tho tbh most snakes will either be quiet and hope you pass or slide away from you. Snakes rarely bite unless they feel threatened or if they stay hidden and you accidentally step on you. If you get bit the best thing you can do is STAY CALM!! and call for help obviously. Getting stressed and worried increases heart rate which increases the venom going round your system IF they gave a wet bite, sucking out venom is just aload of cr@p tbh so dont bother.
  • irvs
    irvs Posts: 204
    Cheers for the advice on the wild life chaps, well the time is finally here I leave for oz on Monday, it's going to be a FUN adventure haha.

Neil