Share your tricks...

ETreeson
ETreeson Posts: 88
edited January 2013 in Commuting general
Hi all,

I've recently started my 16 mile e/w cycle commute up again. While the actual door-door time isn't much more than the useless trains, I do find myself faffing a bit when I arrive at work.

Do you have a particular way of packing/sorting/organising yourself for the commute that speeds things up? What do you recommend to make your ride & arrival as seamles as possible?

Comments

• Everything packed the night before. Cycling kit layed out in spare room.
    Clothing in a separate plastic bag (in case of spills, leaks and bag waterproofing issues).
    Check tyres and brakes the night before (no flats to fix in the morning).
    I have 2 compartments in my backpack - 1 for clothes/food. Other for tools, inner tubes etc (I don't want to get oil/mud over workstuff if I have an emergency).

Towel, shower gels etc in locker at work (along with change of clothes - just in case).
    And I am always the first one in. Makes sure that I get the best shower, straight after the cleaner has been in there, so I don't have to deal with anyone else's mess.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • I bring all my clothes for the week in on Monday, including shower gels, gym kit, etc (big rucksack!), cycle in every day with just the basic tools & my lunch in my tiny rucksack, then bring it all home on Friday. Fortunately I have a locker that I can keep everything in. Get to work 15 mins before my start time so I can shower & change & be ready bang on time :D

Also, as the Lurker says, get all my kit sorted out the night before - saves a lot time in the morning when trying to get the kids ready for school!
    Boardman 8.9 SLR - Summer
    Holdsworth La Quelda - Commuter
    Moda Intro - Winter
    Planet X Stealth - TT
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I repack my bag as soon as I get home - fresh shirt, underwear, lunch etc. Everything is laid out the same way every night. My rucksack is packed in reverse order to removal so it all just comes straight out when I get to work. Even my coffee pot is on a timer so I just tip delicious fresh hot coffee (ah beautiful liquid enthusiasm, where would I be without you?) straight down my gullet and then get on the bike. From getting out of bed to getting on the bike takes no more than 15 minutes.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Share my tricks?

Errr.... "Love you long time. 10 dorra."
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Azhar
    Azhar Posts: 247
    Everything packed the night before. Cycling kit layed out in spare room.
    Clothing in a separate plastic bag (in case of spills, leaks and bag waterproofing issues).
    Check tyres and brakes the night before (no flats to fix in the morning).
    I have 2 compartments in my backpack - 1 for clothes/food. Other for tools, inner tubes etc (I don't want to get oil/mud over workstuff if I have an emergency).

Towel, shower gels etc in locker at work (along with change of clothes - just in case).
    And I am always the first one in. Makes sure that I get the best shower, straight after the cleaner has been in there, so I don't have to deal with anyone else's mess.

Hello ETreeson, The above, by Long Time Lurker, is exactly what I do. My route is also 16 miles each way and I pack all my stuff the night before, lay out the cycling clothes out so theres no faffing about in the morning. I have a DHB 25l cycling back pack. I prefer that than panniers. that bag has ample space and doesnt feel too bad when riding in it.

how long does it take you to get to work...at the moment i'm averaging between 1hr 10 - 1hr 15minutes. but i gotta tackle a lotta hills.
  • Azhar wrote:
    Hello ETreeson, The above, by Long Time Lurker, is exactly what I do. My route is also 16 miles each way and I pack all my stuff the night before, lay out the cycling clothes out so theres no faffing about in the morning. I have a DHB 25l cycling back pack. I prefer that than panniers. that bag has ample space and doesnt feel too bad when riding in it.

how long does it take you to get to work...at the moment i'm averaging between 1hr 10 - 1hr 15minutes. but i gotta tackle a lotta hills.

Door-door it takes me about the same amount of time as you - I spend about 10 minutes of that waiting at red lights and negotiating level crossings according to my GPS.